What else do you do?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I flip hamburgers. Once school starts I study, flip hamburgers and vegitate.

For fun I ride horses and workout.

I plan to attend Laramie County Community College for an associate degree in Dental Hygiene. @WhistlingBadger you live in wyoming? I can't wait to move there :)
Well, there's Wyoming and there's Wyoming. Cheyenne? We only sort of claim it. Definitely the ugly part of Wyoming. Get in touch when you get here and I'd be glad to share some suggestions on what to see when you're here. Just promise to tell everyone back home that it's really ugly.

Interesting thread, Nate. It's always fun to learn a little more about people. Here are a few things about me:

Inner/outer life: I'm a follower of Jesus. We aren't supposed to get into religion here, and I won't, except to say that's a bit more than "something I do." But it's a big part of who I am and who I'm becoming.

Family: I have a beautiful wife (referred to on the forum as Mrs. Badger) with whom I recently celebrated 18 years of marriage, and a 12 year old daughter (referred to on the forum as The Badgerling) who is a very amazing short person. They keep me busy, keep me guessing, and keep me laughing. We have a 2 year old black lab, Tayo, whose brain might be finally starting to catch up with his body.

Job: I'm a music teacher by trade, on year 25 (or so--I lost track somewhere around 2010) of a reasonably distinguished career. I too have worked as a cook, everything from fine dining to fast food, as well as a roofer and a ditch digger. That was a long time ago. I try to avoid working that hard now.

Fun: I have way too many hobbies, but I seem to need all of them. When I'm not singing with little kids, pondering the spiritual meanings of life, playing with fish, or hanging with the family, I can usually be found running up and down mountains, making and shooting primitive bows, attempting to kill delicious critters with same, catching trout on a fly rod, building things of dubious usefulness and beauty, and playing Scottish and Irish trad music. I also enjoy both reading and writing.

My talents include breaking things, fixing them again, injuring myself creatively, and almost killing elk.

Interesting thread, Nate. It's always fun to learn a little more about people. Here are a few things about me:

Inner/outer life: I'm a follower of Jesus. We aren't supposed to get into religion here, and I won't, except to say that's a bit more than "something I do." But it's a big part of who I am and who I'm becoming.

Family: I have a beautiful wife (referred to on the forum as Mrs. Badger) with whom I recently celebrated 18 years of marriage, and a 12 year old daughter (referred to on the forum as The Badgerling) who is a very amazing short person. They keep me busy, keep me guessing, and keep me laughing. We have a 2 year old black lab, Tayo, whose brain might be finally starting to catch up with his body.

Job: I'm a music teacher by trade, on year 25 (or so--I lost track somewhere around 2010) of a reasonably distinguished career. I too have worked as a cook, everything from fine dining to fast food, as well as a roofer and a ditch digger. That was a long time ago. I try to avoid working that hard now.

Fun: I have way too many hobbies, but I seem to need all of them. When I'm not singing with little kids, pondering the spiritual meanings of life, playing with fish, or hanging with the family, I can usually be found running up and down mountains, making and shooting primitive bows, attempting to kill delicious critters with same, catching trout on a fly rod, building things of dubious usefulness and beauty, and playing Scottish and Irish trad music. I also enjoy both reading and writing.

My talents include breaking things, fixing them again, injuring myself creatively, and almost killing elk.
Very elaborate post!

that’s the kind of thing I was shooting for. I’m with ya in the roofing and ditch digging. I try to avoid that kind of labour at all costs…

my initial post was sort of inspired by a few of your comments on posts. You dropped a few hints here and there of outside activities from the fish keeping hobby.

I figured I would float the idea out there of getting people involved and sharing other interests. Okay the part of catalyst if you will…

but los of great replies so far. Keep em coming!

I'm in graduate school for Occupational Therapy and I have 2 dogs and a horse to take care of. I go hiking a lot, I like to walk long distances with my dog, and I love to read and write.
This is the place to elaborate!

what do you read? What do you write?

No shot, a miss, or couldn't find/lost tracking? All heart breaking just the same, but curious.
The first two. I've killed an elk (and many deer) with a rifle. But there are lots and lots of ways to mess up, hunting with a trad bow, and I've probably done most of them. If I ever write a book about my hunting adventures, I'm going to call it "101 Ways to Almost Kill an Elk." :lol:

The first two. I've killed an elk (and many deer) with a rifle. But there are lots and lots of ways to mess up, hunting with a trad bow, and I've probably done most of them. If I ever write a book about my hunting adventures, I'm going to call it "101 Ways to Almost Kill an Elk." :lol:
That's rough. Probably hiked quite a few miles for the miss too!

That's rough. Probably hiked quite a few miles for the miss too!
Yeah. But that's the good thing. The rest of the year, I go hike the same country with my family just for fun. The adventure of the bow in hand makes it even better. But even if I don't bring home any meat and pretty wall decorations, I'm still getting some good exercise out in God's country. And being more-or-less invisible out there in my camo, I almost always see something worth the price of admission. So it's kind of a win-win.

Gotta admit, though, after all these close calls, some elk steaks would go down mighty smooth!

In addition to keeping a few fish, I keep and breed amphibians and reptiles. Most people would say I have too many, especially my wife.
I have two children in college.
As for work, I am in the wholesale building materials business, selling mostly flooring. It’s not as glamorous as it sounds.

Yeah. But that's the good thing. The rest of the year, I go hike the same country with my family just for fun. The adventure of the bow in hand makes it even better. But even if I don't bring home any meat and pretty wall decorations, I'm still getting some good exercise out in God's country. And being more-or-less invisible out there in my camo, I almost always see something worth the price of admission. So it's kind of a win-win.

Gotta admit, though, after all these close calls, some elk steaks would go down mighty smooth!
I used to deer hunt in my teens. Then I moved out of town for school/work and now don't know anyone with land I could hunt. I know of a few public hunting lands not far from me, but I just can't do it. Too many idiots with guns. Shame really because I'd love to take my son out. He'd live in the woods if we let him!

I used to deer hunt in my teens. Then I moved out of town for school/work and now don't know anyone with land I could hunt. I know of a few public hunting lands not far from me, but I just can't do it. Too many idiots with guns. Shame really because I'd love to take my son out. He'd live in the woods if we let him!
Sometimes it helps to find the off-seasons that hardly anybody hunts, like small game, spring turkeys, whatever it is where you live. That's part of the reason I love archery season. Fewer idiots in the hills. Winter rabbit hunts are pretty sparsely populated around here, too.

I have had a few jobs/careers. Starting with driving off highway haul trucks, caving guide, going to forest technician/silviculture planner, and finally as lead for a small team of developers that develop optimization and scanning systems.

I have gone to school a few times, including wildland management and computer science.

My main activity now is fish keeping, but at various times it has been kayaking (still an avid rough water sea kayaker), rock climbing, caving, scuba diving, hiking, though now I have a few health issues/events that have forced me to slow down a lot.

Married now for >30 years, with one grandson. My wife and I share interests in the natural environment which has kept us together. My interests biology, geology, math, and physics, hers in biology, language, and social studies.

I am strongly concerned about the environment, to the point I am now questioning my keeping of fish and my drive to work. I don't believe collectively we can continue as we have without harming our own well being in the future. I mention fish keeping, just looking at heating the water I have 1000 watts of heating for all the tanks. The heaters do not run all the time but in the summer they are running while I am also trying to cool the house. I estimate that for heating fish tanks alone I am using approximately 1800 kWh per year, not really a lot of energy but I feel I have to offset its use by cutting something else out. Considering going to cold water fish which would reduce my energy usage by 50% for the same number of tanks, larger tank with Pumpkinseed Sunfish perhaps, raised them before in a different time.

This is the place to elaborate!

what do you read? What do you write?
I read pretty much anything - but my favorites are mystery/thriller novels and fantasy/adventure novels!

I dabble in poetry but I've been writing fiction for a long time. I'm 25 and started off writing RPG style when I was about 10 or 11, online. Since then I've written a couple novels (unpublished, maybe some day I'll pursue that), one being a coming of age type story and a dystopian, sci-fi-y story. I have multiple other stories in the works that I add to here and there when the motivation strikes.

I also write fan fiction for a handful of my favorite shows, for fun. It's fun to post things online and get feedbaack and I've made a lot of great friends within that writing community - many of which I'm in absolute awe of their writing prowess.

Fun fact - I tend to say that OT school is my backup plan, bc I really want to be a professional writer :p

I read pretty much anything - but my favorites are mystery/thriller novels and fantasy/adventure novels!

I dabble in poetry but I've been writing fiction for a long time. I'm 25 and started off writing RPG style when I was about 10 or 11, online. Since then I've written a couple novels (unpublished, maybe some day I'll pursue that), one being a coming of age type story and a dystopian, sci-fi-y story. I have multiple other stories in the works that I add to here and there when the motivation strikes.

I also write fan fiction for a handful of my favorite shows, for fun. It's fun to post things online and get feedbaack and I've made a lot of great friends within that writing community - many of which I'm in absolute awe of their writing prowess.

Fun fact - I tend to say that OT school is my backup plan, bc I really want to be a professional writer :p
My wife likes to read fan fiction, and some of it is really surprisingly good. I'm a lot better at starting books than finishing them. But last spring, I shared one of my favorite books, Last of the Breed by Louis L'Amour, with my daughter. It has one of the most intense endings of any book I've ever read, but we both agree that it demands a sequel (the author succumbed to cancer before he got around to it), so I'm writing one. I'm thinking about sharing it on a fan fic site if I ever get it all done. I've got about four more chapters to write. It's a fun project, and it is great practice at becoming a better writer. Mostly, it makes my daughter happy, so that's always worthwhile. 💕

I hope the writing career works out for you! Good to have a backup plan. I hear writing is a fairly difficult field to break into, but pretty great work if you can get it.

I rehabilitate feral cats, then adopt them out. I have adopted 1 cat out, kept 1, and just picked up a third from the dumpster bunch at work.

I spend a lot of time reading, and am thinking about writing a book myself.

My day job is working as shift lead at a truck stop, so I have gottennpretty good at telling off irate customers lately.
I spent two years outside working with a feral. After a year I could pet him. Couldn’t pick him up. Caught him in a live trap, took to vet & gradually introduced him to my two other cats. Love one another! All neutered males. Cuddle and groom one another. Indoor cats, but we built a catIo. Sturdy wire enclosure on a elevated platform. Cats enter through open window. Has shelves etc.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back