What Does Nitrate Burn Look Like On Plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SlyPolak

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was just wondering what does Nitrate burn look like on plants. My tank ALWAYS has pretty high nitrates because it comes out 60ppm out the tap and I want to know if this is my NEW issue. It seems like only my Aponogetons are affected, never seen a problem on my water sprite or swords. If I lag with a water change (wait over a week), the Apono's seem to get "burned". Look like brown spots developing all over the leaves and then the leaves just wither away. But if I keep up with the water changes (to reduce nitrates) I see no spots or anything.

Just took a few piks. .... I am pretty sure its nitrate burn because this doesnt happen when I do the large and frequent water changes, if its not nitrate burn what do yall think it is??

DSC01531.jpg

DSC01525.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01526.jpg

Do you see the brown spots?

It wont be nitrate burn. Never heard of anyone having a problem like that in a planted aquarium.
The test kit says 60ppm, but do you really trust it? Time and time again, nitrate test kits are shown to be innacurate. You could easily have 6pmm when it shows you 60ppm.
Plant looks as though it's missing something. Could be CO2.
Experiencing any algae?

No C02. no algea ANYWHERE, I am adding micro nutes and really dont see the point of macro because im pretty heavily stocked.
What do you think I am missing????

I am adding micro nutes and really dont see the point of macro because im pretty heavily stocked.

Your plants may be telling you otherwise. Before we think about macros lets try upping the micro nutrients.
Trim off all other infected leaves.
Dose micro nutrients 3x a week and increase the dosage from what you usually dose.
In 2weeks we will know whether it's because of micro nutrients or not. If not, then we need to look at CO2 and macro nutrients.

Can do!!! As far I have been dosing 1x a week of Seachems Flourish at a rate of 5ml per 55 gal. tank. Do you think its good to double the dose at 3x a week?

In that case, keep the same dosage but do it 3 times a week instead of 1.

Will do!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you also recommend stopping the frequent water changes? That would be my guess

But if I keep up with the water changes (to reduce nitrates) I see no spots or anything.

Just spotted this. There is a possibilty that the water changes are introducing high levels of dissovled CO2 to the tank. With less water changes, less CO2 is introduced therefore plants experience carbon deficiency..........that's just a theory and we shall continue the trace element theory for now.
You could do a 10% water change 3 times a week. After each water change, dose the trace elements.

I JUST (yesterday) moved to a house with city water. But I have been living at a house with well water, as far as I understand the water companies add C02 to their water but do you think there might have been C02 in the well water?

I JUST (yesterday) moved to a house with city water. But I have been living at a house with well water, as far as I understand the water companies add C02 to their water but do you think there might have been C02 in the well water?

Hhhmm, not sure. Doubt it. We'll soon find out if it's CO2 related or not.

I will go by your advice and up the dosage to 3x a week. Like I said before I was at a house with well water so there wasnt any C02 being injected into it. But now I am happy to say that the reading from the tap at this new house are all 0... 0 ammonia,0 nitrite,0 nitrates.... PH is about the same but will test it again when the few cups that I left out get airated, the hardness is half of what it was but I hope this doesnt affect the fish and plants too much.......

Havent done a waterchange yet and it seems like its getting bad again.... I will see what happens.................

Did as you said and upped the dosage to 3x a week and reduced water changes to about 25% a week and I think you were right! (again)
What I was doing earlier was many water changes but I was dosing micro nutes after each water change, thats why I thought it was the water changes doing good but I think it was just the nutes I was adding. Since dosing 3x a week for a few weeks I havent seen any of the degradation I have before. THANKS RADAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back