what do you use to cover your filter intake so your shrimps don't get sucked up?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a fluval edge 6 gallon that has a
Hagen Fluval Edge Power Filter sorry, I don't know why my font went so large?!

Anyway...I just got a teeny orange sunkist shrimp that could easily get sucked up into my filter.

So for now I just tied a media bag over it. Which does the trick but looks awful.

I don't want to use those sponge covers as I feel like it stops things up too much.

I tried to (omg this font..?!) google shrimp safe cage for intake ....and found a few that were stainless steel which is what I was thinking would work and look best but people say they're too sharp ...plus I'm not sure I'd trust the craftsmanship as a people said the glue is visible.

Anyway...just wondering what you guys use and if it would work for me.

I have the same tank and use a small sponge, I can take a picture once i get home. I clean it every water change, not only will it save shrimp but also increase the effectiveness of the filter because of the mechanical filtration and it harvests biological filtration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a sponge to cover the inlet.
t98o78.jpg

3be186270cb91a6538f632285cb19075.jpg

you cant see it because it blends with backround

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a few options regarding pre filter intake covers.

Your suggestion of the stainless steel mesh cover is one I've seen before and considered using but never did for some reason.

It looks fine but would stick out esp if you have a black background making it easily visible.

I have in the past used a fine mesh net (some folks use stocking or a media bag) tied with string over the intake pipe, worked fine but a pita to take off to clean.

Have found the easiest solution personally is just to get a pre filter sponge made for this job. Every week or other week, take it off and give it a good rinse under the tap then put back, a minutes job easily done.

It's only when you leave that sponge on for too long without cleaning that it will slow water intake. Soon as you see water slow coming out of the filter that you know it's def time to clean the pre filter sponge. (I generally clean the impeller at same time actually, 2 birds one stone ;) )

An example -

http://www.aquatic-spare-parts.co.u...ilter-sponge?gclid=CNWKteLR9c8CFVQaGwod0pwL2Q

Oh man, great suggestions and info! I still can't believe I have an 8 dollar shrimp that I can barely see! ha.
He was actually out bustling with the crowd last night. Very cute.

I have the same tank and use a small sponge, I can take a picture once i get home. I clean it every water change, not only will it save shrimp but also increase the effectiveness of the filter because of the mechanical filtration and it harvests biological filtration

Oh wow, it sure is hard to see but I get what you mean. Thanks for the picture! Looks like you have the 12 gallon! I was worried about that one as it has the same filter as the 6 and I wasn't sure it would be enough for it, therefore went with the 6.

How do you like it? Do you find the standard equipment works well on it? I've always been curious.

I use a sponge to cover the inlet.

Oh cool, I've seen those in my searching. Thanks for the pic, always helpful.

I'm a little confused on this one as it looks like a square pad...do you wrap it around the filter intake and then tie?
The material looks like what would work well, as I've read it should be porous and not super tiny holes that make it appear smooth.

It's only when you leave that sponge on for too long without cleaning that it will slow water intake. Soon as you see water slow coming out of the filter that you know it's def time to clean the pre filter sponge. (I generally clean the impeller at same time actually, 2 birds one stone ;) )

Ok, so this is my biggest concern with the pre filter sponge...that it will mess with the water intake/flow and also run my motor too hot causing it to break down.
I can't imagine I have a very sophisticated filter as it came with the my fluval edge.
And omg...I never clean the impeller! Goodness....the things I learn while here!

The Fluval edge job filter is actually a good one imho.

So having a pre filter sponge does not effect it, only when the sponge gets REALLY clogged with gunk and debris will it start to have a effect on water flow, this is the same for ANY filter tbh. So getting in the habit of rinsing the pre filter sponge weekly during water change maintenance does the trick of helping ensuring that does not happen :)

I even bought another one to have as a spare for my 10 gal tank just in case.

Yep, cleaning the impeller really does helps to keep optimum water flow going, I use a toothbrush to clean the impeller and blades and a small pipe cleaner brush to clean the impeller housing as well. 2 minute job!

I have the Edge 46l tank (will be for sale soon ;) ) and found it to be perfectly good as long as you know the shortcomings but for a low tech tank, no complaints.

The one things I did change was the heater, upgraded to a 50w Fluval E heater (I like them!)

I may go as far as suggesting to upgrade the led light unit, the standard led unit does the job fine for those low tech set ups for anubias, Java ferns etc but if you fancy slightly more demanding plants then an upgrade would work well.

There are in fact a few upgraded LED options on the market now that does not cost all that much really, so it makes sense to do that if you wish to :)

My tank and filter is much bigger, but I have tried a pre-filter sponge on my intake tube just to see how it is. I haven't noticed any change in the flow (like I said, it is a much bigger filter Fluval 406). I'd say give the sponge a try and see. One thing I did with mine was to cut one side flat so it sits flat against the wall of the tank and doesn't push out on an angle. This may not be an issue for you.

I was also wondering if you could take the end off the intake tube, wrap the tube with a stocking or mesh, and then put the end back on?

Mark

I was also wondering if you could take the end off the intake tube, wrap the tube with a stocking or mesh, and then put the end back on?

Great idea but wouldn't stop the shrimp from getting sucked into that very end piece with the big slats (or the hole at the bottom that faces the gravel) Its actually big enough to suck up an endler....which happened before.

The Fluval edge job filter is actually a good one imho.

Man that makes me happy to hear!

So having a pre filter sponge does not effect it, only when the sponge gets REALLY clogged with gunk and debris will it start to have a effect on water flow, this is the same for ANY filter tbh. So getting in the habit of rinsing the pre filter sponge weekly during water change maintenance does the trick of helping ensuring that does not happen :)

Ok, this is great to hear and I will buy one today! Question....you (or someone mentioned) rinsing with tap when doing a water change...
I always thought when rinsing the filter media and such you should do in the bucket of icky water...just to sort of get the crap off but not clean it thoroughly?!
Actually while I'm asking that.... when cleaning the filter media...should you only do one part of it at a time? Not all the contents?
Keep in mind my tank is super teeny.

As for my lights, I'd love to upgrade but I kind of don't want to shoot myself in the foot as I'm having insanely good luck with plants growing like amazon weeds.
It's certainly not my green thumb or my knowledge of plants and fish and water .... so I'm kinda riding this dumb luck thing out to the end. ha

Question....you (or someone mentioned) rinsing with tap when doing a water change...
I always thought when rinsing the filter media and such you should do in the bucket of icky water...just to sort of get the crap off but not clean it thoroughly?!
Actually while I'm asking that.... when cleaning the filter media...should you only do one part of it at a time? Not all the contents?
Keep in mind my tank is super teeny.

As for my lights, I'd love to upgrade but I kind of don't want to shoot myself in the foot as I'm having insanely good luck with plants growing like amazon weeds.
It's certainly not my green thumb or my knowledge of plants and fish and water .... so I'm kinda riding this dumb luck thing out to the end. ha

Rinsing the pre filter sponge under tap water is perfectly fine to do.

It's when you rinse the main filter media that there is a bit of a grey area, generally to be perfectly safe you should rinse the filter media in old tank water. And quite correct, not ALL of the filter media at the same time, say up to half at a time, alternating each half on each rinsing when needs it works well.

BUT, if you have a sponge filter like I have on my shrimp tank, rinsing this out in old tap water seems to be ok as the bioload is very small. I am careful not to over rinse the sponge.

As for lights, well, if your plants are growing well, why change a good formula.

Asking for trouble if you start to change things when it comes to plants, belive me, I know this from experience myself when I start adjusting things when it comes to lights, filter flow, ferts when the best thing is to actually leave things alone :rolleyes:

Just a fun little find I thought I'd share:
I found this small and perfectly shaped sponge made for turtle tanks?!
It was only 2 bucks!
I cut a little hole and pushed the filter head down into it so it fits super snug.
The material is coarse so it's perfect for filtration and water flow and it really is unobtrusive in the tank!

Attachments

• IMG_2989.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 371
Ooh, thats cool.

Nice and cheap little fix :)

Great find!

I have a fluval edge 6 gallon that has a
Hagen Fluval Edge Power Filter sorry, I don't know why my font went so large?!

Anyway...I just got a teeny orange sunkist shrimp that could easily get sucked up into my filter.

So for now I just tied a media bag over it. Which does the trick but looks awful.

I don't want to use those sponge covers as I feel like it stops things up too much.

I tried to (omg this font..?!) google shrimp safe cage for intake ....and found a few that were stainless steel which is what I was thinking would work and look best but people say they're too sharp ...plus I'm not sure I'd trust the craftsmanship as a people said the glue is visible.

Anyway...just wondering what you guys use and if it would work for me.

Research 'Fluval Edge pre filter sponge'. Fluval actually makes this sponge but there are cheaper versions out there that do just as well as Fluval's.

Most reactions

Back