What do you use for substrate of grindal worms?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xipo817

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am currently using sponge as a substrate of grindal worm culture.
But I learned there are various types of substrate used like coco peat , peat moss and so on.
What do you use and what is merit of using your substrate?
My current problem is that they smell very bad and water change is needed daily.

I use multi-purpose compost and feed worms on ready Brek what food are you feeding worms with? I don't understand how you can do a water change on grindle worm

Last edited:
Peat moss, soak it for a week, drain it and rinse it and put it in a fine mesh net. Then gently run water through it for a minute. Squeeze excess moisture out and away you go.

I use multi-purpose compost and feed worms on ready Brek what food are you feeding worms with? I don't understand how you can do a water change on grindle worm
Oh I have never used oat.
How is smell?
I feed them artificial cat food.
As I use sponge as substrate it is easy to do water change.
I pour some water into it and lean the case, then bad smelling water with worm's excrement and spoiled cat food can be drained out(some worms go away but it seems negligible).

Peat moss, soak it for a week, drain it and rinse it and put it in a fine mesh net. Then gently run water through it for a minute. Squeeze excess moisture out and away you go.
I have never used peat moss.
Is it because of its acidity that you soak it for a week?

I have never used peat moss.
Is it because of its acidity that you soak it for a week?
You soak it to remove some of the tannins and also to raise the pH a bit. I used to measure the pH of the water and if it was too low, I would add some sodium bicarbonate to the water with the peat to help neutralise some of the acids.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back