What Do You Think?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Im have been doing my research, and I am soon to make my empty ten gallon a nano with soft corals. I would really hate to purchase a DI/RO system for such a small tank, this Tap Water Filter claims to be DI. Is it safe to use?

Dont want to buy RO water from LFS either :p

not having much experience so far.... BUT id say it was more important to have RO for a smaller tank

these tap water filters run out quickly.... I've had my cheap 2nd hand RO unit 2 years now and its still giving <5 TDS... its got a high rinse ration though but its got to be 4-5 years old now and the membraine is still fine.

What I'm saying is that It'll save you a lot of money / hastle in the long run :)

Agreed about the costs and hassle in the long run, but its the initial purchase that will be a killer on the wallet for a RO unit. I know you said you dont want to buy LFS RO water, but would it make a difference if it were pre-mixed saltwater? (Many LFS sell natural sea water straight form the ocean at $1 per gallon)

I would say any filtration is better that none!

Fill it us leave to cycle then test prams. If ok go with it if not WC and then test prams again.

I would try finding out wether or not it removes copper... if it does, great. if it doesn't, dont use it.

Marine aquarists really want 3 things removed from their water. Nitrates, phosphates, and carbon. Nitrates and phosphates are easy, carbon filtration (brita filters, etc) will take care of them. Copper is very difficult as a heavy metal. Standard carbon cartriges dont remove copper, so if their "color-changing ion-exchange resin" thing removes copper then go for it. Otherwise, you'll pretty much need RO or triple distilled de-ionized water to remove copper.

If I remember rightly most of these Water Jug filter wont remove 100% of the metals etc in Water & are thereby useless IMO

The Kenwood Filter I used to use only removed around 60% of the following - Zinc, pesticides, Alum., Cadmium. Chlorine, COPPER & Lead, which just aint good enought

IMO for coral (or any Marine Tank) RO is a must

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back