What Do You Think Happens After You Die?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I think that when you die you body is just an empty shell, but your mind still has some sort of latent energy that survives.

I dont believe in heaven or hell and I am not religious but I do believe that the human soul is some sort of energy, whether it be electrical or something else, and that can continue to exist.

I think that when you die you body is just an empty shell, but your mind still has some sort of latent energy that survives.

I dont believe in heaven or hell and I am not religious but I do believe that the human soul is some sort of energy, whether it be electrical or something else, and that can continue to exist.

a bit far out maybe lol, but you never know, Thats what I think ghosts and things are, energy released by the body at the time of death. you could get right deep into this if you think about it.

A little of topic is the string theory, where scientists belive there are actually 11 differernt dimensions, all moving through time at the same point but invisible to each other. I dont know if anyone has heard of it. But you never know, the energy that leaves your body could pass over into one of these dimensions.

Just a thought lol.

Like everything, you live, then you die, our purpose here is unknown, but life is something amazing and if something amazing has life can happen, whats to say there is not something more amazing beyond what we have now.

Nobody will ever know the truth, i think not knowing and just believing in what makes you feel better, and more prepared for death is whats important.

I am not affraid to die, cos i believe there is something beyond life, if there isnt and im wrong, it wont matter cos i wont ever know.

I don't know but I do believe in the white light theory and heaven. My grandma nearly died and had to be resuscitated, when she woke up, she said that she felt angry, because suddenly everything around her turned white and she went into a beautiful place which she couldn't describe. She was walking/moving along this road surrounded by trees with the light getting brighter and it made her feel happy but then after that she woke up and came round. She felt angry that she had been taken away from somewhere so beautiful, although I'm just happy that she's still here today in good health!

Like most here I believe when your time is up that's it, all finished, no more.
The one thing we certainly do leave behind are memories of ourselves with others, and I like the idea that I can kinda live on through that
good.gif

When I die I want to be cremated and scattered in the sea to get spread far and wide...

I was surprised by this thread...I expected to see the religious ideas prevelant. While I have no love for religion and agree that death = death the idea that the energy has to go somewhere whether it just disperses into the ether or the idea that a violent death leads the the energy repeating itself over and over. My family has a hard time with my outlook on death and dying, the fact that I'm rather glib about it and don't really worry about it at all. I feel that if I spend time worrying about where I'm gonna go when I die I'll be wasting the life I have thus possibly regretting my life when it comes to a close. I don't believe any religious idea of what happens after death, people who see #92###, Allah, God, Joseph Smith, The Flying Spagetti Monster see it because their brain creates it as a coping mechanism to deal with the fact that the person is dying. But this is my idea....

#39#### I just realized I'm necro'ing threads.... I'm gonna go cut myself

your body is just a vessel
that your soul is kept in while
on the plant when you die your soul
is released on to a higher plain

im all for getting old, but i dont want to be about when people are needing to wipe my #14### for me. at that point, i would say my time here is done.

End of the day we all have our opinions but there is no proof to suggest either way so i guess we'll just have to wait to find out.

I personally do believe in god in some way and also believe in 'something' after death but also accept that when I die, if I am buried, I will simply decompose and what ever goodness is left inside me will feed the soil beneath me.

I decided to read up online about all the crackpot theories and stories regarding "the afterlife" last year, just to see which one was most believable.

Now trust me; I was an athiest (as unfaltering as they come) until I started reading up on Dr. Ian Stevenson's books on Possible Reincarnation regarding Past Life Research.

When I say reincarnation I hear many people say; "how mad are you?"

Well I was skeptical at first, but once I read his books I began to understand his theory.

He is incredibly methodical and scientific in his work; so much so that the case studies he has on past life research is actually scary......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson (Although Wikipedia can be awkward at times, his page description is accurate).

PS - just read the page to get a clue of what I mean by past life research =P

PPS - I still dont believe in God, but I believe that Nature + the Cosmos are far more powerful than they appear to the human eye......

........... I never should have done a Philosophy A-Level ¬_¬

-----------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to Ghosts, I'm skeptical. Although I have best friends and family who claim to have seen some, I for one have not. We'll see what time brings eh? =P

I think there is an afterlife of some sort, but whether its a Bible style heaven & hell i don't know. I think its probably something else thats less black & white. Thats not say i'm religious though (not athiest either).

And in some senses, reincarnation does exist in the form of mitochondrial DNA :) . Scientists are always discovering new things, for example the existence of brain tissue/memory cells in the human heart that has the ability to remember stuff. And this is a pretty new revelation! If we're still figuring out our own bodies who knows how much more we have to learn about just the very environment that surrounds us, let alone the more surreal physics & realities of space & time etc.

I would say i'm a scientifically minded person, but i also don't claim to have everything sussed and my eyes are always open to new possibilities, different abstract thinking etc. Stance-wise i'm agnostic. I always think its ironic when you have a group Athiests looking down on religion and its followers and saying to them "There is no proof that God exists, therefore he must not exist!"- but i could equally say its not been proven he doesn't exist! Science doesn't claim to have the answers to everything, its an ongoing process and no scientist worth his salt has said that science has proven or disproven god/s/high powers/whatever existence.

As ye olde Chinese saying goes; the more the wise man learns the more certainties he gives up in this world ;) .

Its human nature to try and see things in a black & white matter, and in some sense some athiests & religious people are not that different from each i think (even though they both probably believe they're completely different from each other and much more enlightened in thinking & superior in belief than each other).

I think there is an afterlife of some sort, but whether its a Bible style heaven & hell i don't know. I think its probably something else thats less black & white. Thats not say i'm religious though (not athiest either).

And in some senses, reincarnation does exist in the form of mitochondrial DNA :) . Scientists are always discovering new things, for example the existence of brain tissue/memory cells in the human heart that has the ability to remember stuff. And this is a pretty new revelation! If we're still figuring out our own bodies who knows how much more we have to learn about just the very environment that surrounds us, let alone the more surreal physics & realities of space & time etc.

I would say i'm a scientifically minded person, but i also don't claim to have everything sussed and my eyes are always open to new possibilities, different abstract thinking etc. Stance-wise i'm agnostic. I always think its ironic when you have a group Athiests looking down on religion and its followers and saying to them "There is no proof that God exists, therefore he must not exist!"- but i could equally say its not been proven he doesn't exist! Science doesn't claim to have the answers to everything, its an ongoing process and no scientist worth his salt has said that science has proven or disproven god/s/high powers/whatever existence.

As ye olde Chinese saying goes; the more the wise man learns the more certainties he gives up in this world ;) .

Its human nature to try and see things in a black & white matter, and in some sense some athiests & religious people are not that different from each i think (even though they both probably believe they're completely different from each other and much more enlightened in thinking & superior in belief than each other).

Couldn't agree more mate =)

Famous quote from the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius sums it all up: "Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

Strange topic.

Burn, burn, BURN.
The bad ones that is.

Seriously though, I'm catholic and supposed to believe in heaven and hell. I know that's what my place of worship teaches me but I struggle, I think of the scientific side, also think of the father, son and holy spirit side too. I can see how a load of religions think and can to some extent see, or see in my mind they could be right, whose to know?

All I know is this, I've been in respiriorty arrest a number of times, seen no white lights or anything, just felt very refreshed when I was brought back by the medical staff. Once I went into cardiac arrest and when I was brought round I proceeded to go mad at the medical staff. It was very peaceful, very nice feeling. No light, no image, nothing. Only feeling good. This was due to a medical problem that has since been sorted so as I keep telling my girlfriend, she's not getting the life insurance yet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back