What do you have in your fuge?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BeamsvilleBoy

Reaction score
Well, I dont have a fuge, but in my main nano (which will become a fuge in a few months) I have HA :unsure: Graciliaira and Caulpera.

This tank will be a fuge in a bit, for now its my main tank!

--Dan

Although Caulerpa is a fast grower and thus it makes it perfect for nutrient extraction, it does have its drawbacks and dangers.

I prefer to use Cheatomorpha, it grows almost as fast and poses far less threat to the tank.

navarre do you have a pic of the cheatomorpha? also has anyone ever thought of dividing up their fuge and placing differnt macro's in each section? that way the faster growing ones will not over take the slower growers. like culerpa compared to halimeda

I have Cheato's in my AC300. Hey Nav what's the problem with Caulerpa in the tank? Is it like Algae where it will take over your tank? I know I gave my friend a few pieces & he said his is growing in a fast pace. In fact he will give some back to me.
Thx,
John

the problem with culerpa in the main tank is it does grow very fast. it will take over your live rock.. covering it, then it will move on to attaching itself to your corals as well. that is why they say to leave the light on in your sump 24/7 so that if you have culerpa it does not go sexual and multiple into your main tank.

Sorry for the late responce everyone (started a new job this week and its been prety frantic :crazy: ).

The problem with Caulerpa is that its an extremly fast growing aggressive/invasive algae. As mentioned above, it will attach to other things very fast. Its a perfect nutrient extractor as it uses this for growth but the danger of it being in a tank is the lights cycle. Caulerpa can and will crash once it gest to a certain size, this is usually around dawn before the lights go on, thismeans it dumps the nutrients its stored up right back into the tank again :-( . Most people keep caulerpa in the sump under 24/7 lights. However i have even witnessed this algae crash undre these conditions so i prefer to play safe and use a slightly less efficient extractor like Cheatomorhpa.

Im sorry buti dont have a piccy of it at the moment. The sump has been moved and currently has no light on it anymore, its not easy to access either brcause the quarentine tank now sits in front of it. I just hope the algae will survive with alot less light :(

I keep a variety of macros, lr rubble, ls, some hermits, a grip of pods, and a ton of amphipods.

I keep my fast growing macros well pruined to keep them from going sexual while letting the slow growing macros start to take over. My favorite of the slow growers is red grape caulphera, just for it's color and beauty. I have also found feather caulerpa to be slow growing, managable, and quite attractive looking.

I keep my fuge lit 21/7. The light is off during the middle of the displays photperiod, just to let the bulb rest and ease up on some of the heat. I have 48w on my 20g refugium. I keep the refugium next to the display like it was it's wn tank. Many people admire it's beauty.

I also have a high enough filtration system to handel it if the caulphera does crash.
I would not invest in "it's a miracle any one pays for mud" or similar products. They have proven to be ineffective and not long lasting IMO. Better to go with LS and LR.

Good Luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back