What do you guys think 🤔

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DarylB924

Reaction score
hey everyone!

I’m Looking for opinions and suggestions from any one out there with experience on the subject! I have a lot of diatoms (brown algae) covering the things In my tank. I’ve mostly been spending some time cleaning it off my plants because I’m concerned with it blocking light. I started doing research on snails because the ghost shrimp in my tank don’t seem to like it. It seems like nerite snails are the most popular and effective for clean up and also the eggs will not hatch in fresh water. While cleaning up some of the plants yesterday I noticed I picked up some hitchhikers on my new plants! I found two tiny snails that seem to have doubled in size overnight. And Last night iM pretty sure i seen them mating too. Like I said they are pretty tiny so I can’t really tell what they are… any one out there able to ID them? Bladder snails maybe? Should I leave them in to help with the brown filth in my tank or will they completely overtake my tank? What do ya guys think?? Posting pictures of the snails and a picture to give ya guys an idea of how bad the diatoms are. Thanks!

Attachments

• 203E789D-CDC9-4EA1-BC4B-072807DC556C.jpeg
    203E789D-CDC9-4EA1-BC4B-072807DC556C.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 46
  • CE2C1A6C-3DA2-4949-ACB1-C1FBF525DE72.jpeg
    CE2C1A6C-3DA2-4949-ACB1-C1FBF525DE72.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 70791B2B-EE4E-42E5-B85C-B77C205F6142.jpeg
    70791B2B-EE4E-42E5-B85C-B77C205F6142.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 49D9E026-9BAA-498F-849A-EEBD42A6E3EF.jpeg
    49D9E026-9BAA-498F-849A-EEBD42A6E3EF.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 44
hey everyone!

I’m Looking for opinions and suggestions from any one out there with experience on the subject! I have a lot of diatoms (brown algae) covering the things In my tank. I’ve mostly been spending some time cleaning it off my plants because I’m concerned with it blocking light. I started doing research on snails because the ghost shrimp in my tank don’t seem to like it. It seems like nerite snails are the most popular and effective for clean up and also the eggs will not hatch in fresh water. While cleaning up some of the plants yesterday I noticed I picked up some hitchhikers on my new plants! I found two tiny snails that seem to have doubled in size overnight. And Last night iM pretty sure i seen them mating too. Like I said they are pretty tiny so I can’t really tell what they are… any one out there able to ID them? Bladder snails maybe? Should I leave them in to help with the brown filth in my tank or will they completely overtake my tank? What do ya guys think?? Posting pictures of the snails and a picture to give ya guys an idea of how bad the diatoms are. Thanks!
Looks to be a bladder snail from the pictures. As most snails usually are, bladder snails are scavengers, meaning they eat leftover food and rotting plant material. They will help your tank out, but you may find them annoying after some time. They will populate the tank rather quickly, so you might have to start manually removing them as time goes on.

They are just pond snails and will breed happily in most aquariums. They should help clean up some algae.

The brown algae usually goes away after a few months when things settle down.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

You have serpae tetras so be careful what fish you choose to put in with them. Serpae tetras are renown fin nippers.

They are just pond snails and will breed happily in most aquariums. They should help clean up some algae.

You have serpae tetras so be careful what fish you choose to put in with them. Serpae tetras are renown fin nippers.
Hate to disagree, but that’s a bladder snail, not a pond snail.
036A3F7F-86F2-4958-B20A-D0FE98D95F66.jpeg

Looks to be a bladder snail from the pictures. As most snails usually are, bladder snails are scavengers, meaning they eat leftover food and rotting plant material. They will help your tank out, but you may find them annoying after some time. They will populate the tank rather quickly, so you might have to start manually removing them as time goes on.
Thanks for the input. Every where that I have read says they populate quickly and that is my concern. They may help with some problems I have currently but it seems they may become a problem themselves eventually.

I had some “frosted window” vinyl laying around so i slapped that on the back temporarily and have a blue leds shining on the back of it. I was attempting to create something similar to a serene led light I had seen on YouTube recently. Not quite the same but it does look alright at night time. Looks much better than a completely clear back ground.

I’ve learned the hard way about serapes and their fin nipping! The aren’t quite fast enough to get my pristellas but the do get my neon occasionally. I’ve found they stay calm as long as I keep the tank clean and water parameters stable. Seems like the moment things shift a little they are my first sign to look at things because they get very aggressive.

Over feeding the fish is the main cause of a pest snail population explosion. If you are careful not to feed to much, and to remove any uneaten food that should keep their numbers to a minimum. Remember that fish don't need nearly as much food as you'd think.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back