What Do You Feed Your Oscar?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sryan0609

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so i have an oscar fish and i feed him beefheart occasionally, and goldfish, cichlid gold, and other rnadom foods i have that dont have preservatives, i also give him krill but he doesnt seem to like the krill is that normal?

let me know what u feed your oscars, and what they enjoy eating.

also i have a little blue dempsey cichlid in the tank with the oscar and a pleco. they all r friendly to each other, except the dempsey sometimes pokes at the pleco. is thatan issue? could it possibly hurt/kill the pleco? its only a 2" dempsey and the plecos about 6 or 7"

thanks for the help

have 10" oscar
loves arowana pellets,bloodworm and flake food
but his fav is pieces of chicken he takes out of my fingers

You need to watch feeders. Aside from the suffering caused to the poor fish, they are also known to introduce parasites and diseases into the tank and are also fairly limited, nutritionally.

^^^ Seconded. Don't use feeders (rosy reds, goldfish, other cyprinids) to feed any fish. If you must feed live fish, which you don't, breed your own guppies or other fish without thiaminase.

I feed my Oscar Hikari Cichlid Gold, Tetra Doromin Cichlid pellets, Bloodworm, Krill, River Shrimp (dried) and he also has bits of Hikari Micro Pellets and Hikari Algae Wafers that are put in for my other fish. Oh and he's had prawn before. In short, he will eat anything I give him :lol: He is a greedy little devil, always begging for food. He hasn't turned his nose up at anything yet...

It's important to feed your fish a varied diet, and especially important for Oscars to have a staple which includes Vitamin C as they can be prone to 'hole in the head' disease. Do NOT go the route of feeder fish as this is both cruel and unnecessary. There are plenty of manufactured and frozen/dried fish foods out there which have a higher nutritional content, plus will not be carrying diseases etc.

ok thanks for tellin me about the feeders.

And can they harm my pleco?

Well beyond the possibility of disease being introduced to the tank, no.

I meant can the Dempsey harm the pleco, it pokes at him sometimes is that bad? The plecs like 5-6" and the dempseys like 2

and if I go outta town ad I leave some feeders in the tank for oscar is that acceptable?

How long will you be gone? Unless its a very long time the oscar will be fine with no food.

Idk about the pleco. I know when jd's grow they can be very mean but I'd think it should be ok, plecs are tough fish.

How long will you be gone? Unless its a very long time the oscar will be fine with no food.

Idk about the pleco. I know when jd's grow they can be very mean but I'd think it should be ok, plecs are tough fish.

well i am not leaving anytime soon but when i go outta town for 2 or 3 days i usually put some fish in for him.

also, oscars are such odd fish, like how they can sit still, it is hard to tell how they feel bc they are always lazy. if mine kinda floats on its side occasionally could this be an issue? i mean ya its a kinda dumb question bc they always lie around..i am sure u kknow what i mean though, like ur oscar is just lieing there and its hard to tell if he is just "chillin" or if he is actually sick, or the water is bad or something like that

if it's on its side then somethings not right, mine sites on the bottom time to time but never seen it on it's side, your oscar will be fine for a few days without food.

if it's on its side then somethings not right, mine sites on the bottom time to time but never seen it on it's side, your oscar will be fine for a few days without food.

alright well that's good to know

he doesn't lie on his side for an extended period of time it just like 6 or so seconds but it's still very odd

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back