What Do You Feed Your Apisto Cacatuoides?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello folks,

Bear with me here, you'll be rewarded with pictures at the end of this post.
smile.png

I just want to know what y'all feed your apistogramma cacatuoides.  I have checked other resources on the internet and have found only conflicting info.  Some places say that dried foods (flakes, cichlid pellets, etc.) don't work well with a.cacatuoides.  Other resources say that a dried foods staple is perfectly good.  So is a dried food diet suitable for them?  Or are they like apistogramma borelli, where they should be eating live and frozen foods?

My new a.cacatuoides have had frozen bloodworms and they have also had bites of my Hikari Micro Wafers, so I know they can eat both.  Which do you think is best?

For fun, here's the story of how I ended up with two a.cacatuoides:
I was at Neptune Aquatics and found a beautiful male A.cacatuoides that I wanted for my tank. When I netted the male, the female in the tank swam into the net with him. I tried to maneuver her out of the net, but she kept swimming back in. So, I bought them both. Since I let them into the tank, they've been exploring the tank together, hardly leaving each other. I didn't know fish could be so romantic. Ladies and gents, I present, Neptune (male) and Nyx (female).

As promised, here are pictures of them! Enjoy!
smile.png
  They are all from the first day in the tank though.
Full stress markings during acclimation. Neptune is above, Nyx is below.

Neptune is on the left, looking for a way out. Nyx is chilling under the anubias.

Hanging out with a panda cory!

I feed mine a mixture of frozen live food and New Life Spectrum 1mm sinking pellets. The male waits at the top of the tank for me to drop them in, then chases them down to the bottom. I do soak the pellets for a few minutes first so they sink quickly and the tetras don't eat them all - they get NLS flake.

Best would be life food all the time :) But they can also live on decent cichlid pellets. It is always good to feed a variety of different foods.

Btw. do you have any caves in your tank?

hobby5 said:
Btw. do you have any caves in your tank?
Not yet, but by tomorrow, when I hit up my LFS, I will buy two caves.  Will that be enough?  Apologies if that's a silly question, these are my first apistos.

The more the merrier :)  (But 2 is a good start.) No need to buy them you can also diy them by using tubes, small pots and, very popular, coconut shells.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back