What Do You Do With Your Co2 Systems During The Night?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Luke_e

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've read that leaving you're Co2 on over night can cause big PH swings, and i dont want this to happen. So do i just unhook the tubing from the canister until the morning and then reconnect it? Although doesnt this waste co2? But i can hardly block the hole as it would explode :crazy: .
I've also read if you pop an air tube in over night this can stop the severity of a PH swing but i dont fancy doing this, i'd rather just unhook the pipe if it needs to be done.
Thanks for the coming advice ;).

If you angle the output of your filter so that it creates a bit of surface agitation then this will be perfectly enough to get some oxygen in the water during the night.

This is what I do and I run my CO2 24/7.

If you want to stop injecting just shut it off or invest in a solenoid this is in th ecase you are using a pressurized system. If you are using DIY then there is not much you can do but yank the tube out.

Its DIY yea..
I'll be diffusing via a ladder so i suppose i could lift the ladder higher up so the bubbles arent in contact with the water as much therfor less co2 diffusion.
EDIT: Sorry it isnt DIY, its a nutrafin kit...

I would not worry about it since its DIY I doubt it can give out enough Co2 to cause enough of a pH swing to cause a problem to be honest.

Leave it be going 24/7 it will be fine.

Oops, well its kind of DIY, its the nutrafin.. so i guess it isnt DIY, sorry lol..
EDIT: Isnt set up yet anyway, waitin till i get paid on friday to order the tank and lighting ;).

Jimboo says all the time that it's pretty much impossible to have DIY co2 and overdose. He uses a 40 gallons worth of co2 units to power his 10 gallon, and his fish are fine. So I'm sure you can leave it on at night and nothing will go wrong.

The nutrafin is just basicaly a fancy packaged DIY it still uses the fermentation process to deliver its Co2 and not pressure.

Oops, well its kind of DIY, its the nutrafin.. so i guess it isnt DIY, sorry lol..
EDIT: Isnt set up yet anyway, waitin till i get paid on friday to order the tank and lighting ;).

I have two nutrafins units running in my tank now and leave them bubbling away 24/7 and dont seem to have encountered any problems so far.

Yes you will be fine, you can measure the pH before lights out and just before light are back on in the morning to check the drop if it puts your mind at rest but it will be minimal.

I see, so i'm fine to leave it on over night? Thats good to know, thanks for posting mate.

Same here, and Ive got pressuried, 24/7 with no probs and its a tiny tank!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back