What do y’all think my dog is mixed with?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I would love to do a dna test but the doggo ones I’ve heard aren’t very reliable and are based more on the pictures of the dogs you send in with the sample than the actual dna. That was a couple years ago though… is it different? Is it actually more accurate?

The jury is out: her favorite is the cardigan.

But she still wasn’t a fan.

A moment of silence for the corgi’s. Especially the pembroke, who my sister preferred.
Your sis has good taste, but your mom, however...

I would love to do a dna test but the doggo ones I’ve heard aren’t very reliable and are based more on the pictures of the dogs you send in with the sample than the actual dna. That was a couple years ago though… is it different? Is it actually more accurate?

When I had one done on my dog, I hated that they asked for a photo, and for what breeds you believed were predominant. Why do they need to know that, or have a photo, to do that? Sure enough, I said I think she's mostly English Springer Spaniel (I can't remember what photo I sent, this is just a random photo for you to see her):
DSCF0233.JPG

And sure enough, the results came back as mostly English Springer Spaniel, with a good chunk of Border Collie, and a grandparent that was a supermutt, with less than 5% DNA of a bunch of other breeds, like Pointer, terrier etc, I can't remember them all now or find the results, and remember this was seven or eight years ago.

I got it done since it was only a cheaper DNA test given to me as a gift, because I could see she was mainly Springer, but not purebred Springer (I used to live with a breeder who had a big pack!) and I suspected she had a good amount of Border Collie, but maybe something else in there too, and it was only for the fun of it. I don't know for sure that the results are reliable, and the breeds mentioned are the same as other dog fanatics have guessed when I was a member on a dog training forum years ago. As the years pass, their DNA databases should have grown, but since it doesn't really matter to me what breeds she is, love her to bits, it's just fun to try to work it out, and see what results you get!

It did also include mentions of the common health conditions that can crop up in the predominant breeds they say are there, which is useful to keep an eye out for symptoms. Like, if yours does have Corgi or Dachshund DNA, it's good to be aware of their vulnerabilities and aim to avoid or detect common health conditions that have arisen in those breeds.

I'd do it again if I ever get another mixed breed dog in the future, but I'd research the different testing labs and check out their methodology and reviews first, and decide if you just want to go for a cheapy test that might be telling what they think you want to hear just for the fun of seeing what it says, or go for the one of the more expensive ones if they seem to be more reliable. Plus take the results with a grain of salt, while relying on what you see in the dog you have in front of you when it comes to training methods, drives, etc. Like if the dog acts very independent and hound like, then it's best to work with those traits, rather than try to turn it into a retriever or obedience champion because the results say lab or collie, you know what I mean?

Do you think you might get a test done?

Judging from the legs and tail she has to be mixed with corgi, great looking gal forsure

: she only weighs 20-23 pounds and she’s about 1 and a half years old

Just a quick note about the coat you mentioned, bear in mind that in some double coated breeds, the full coat doesn't grow in right away. My Springer/Collie/Supermutt had a fairly thin, short coat until she was two.

In these photos, she was about 18 months old. Not much feathering around her paws, chest, belly etc, and not the thick double coat that my older show line Springer/Cocker had. Which was great in terms of grooming at first, since I'm in the UK, Springers are mud magnets, and all through the winter it's a round of bathing and drying the dogs after walks. She was much easier to bathe and dry off since her coat hadn't fully grown in yet.
DSC_0155 (1).JPG

These pics she was around 18 months old
DSC_0154 (1).JPG

These pics are after her coat had grown in more, when she was two. Much fluffier tail, more feathering around her feet, chest, body, legs and back end, and a thicker undercoat grew in, which means she needs much more grooming, and a stripping brush to remove dead undercoat, or it builds up and fluffs/tangles.

DSCF0011.JPG
DSCF0122.JPG

I do her day to day grooming, but every 2-3 months, I had a brilliant groomer who would trim my older Springer/Cocker and work his undercoat, and she gave a proper groom to this girl once, said her coat was like a mix between a Springers and a Collies, which makes sense. If yours has Dachshund DNA, their coats can be smooth, long, or wirehaired as well, so her coat might well change and grow in differently once she's a bit older. :)

Just a quick note about the coat you mentioned, bear in mind that in some double coated breeds, the full coat doesn't grow in right away.
Yes! My Alaskan Klee Kai was like that!

She was skinny with pretty short reasonable hair up until her second year! And she just kinda “poofed” out as we like to call it 😂😂

Here she is, I wanna say about a year old:
900646C2-E506-4C7E-980F-B6E5ACDECC55.jpeg

And then her hair started getting longer and more red the closer she got to 2:
98F5458A-1747-4F50-8D04-2FE27B789CBD.jpeg

And then she turned 2 and “poofed”:
066C035B-52D5-42CA-868B-1C23AFE342F0.jpeg

It was quite the dramatic transformation LOLOLOL!

And Yuki is showing the same symptoms- her hair is getting longer, she’s starting to get light brown patches on her legs, ears, and spine, and actually has faint small brown spots around her paws, and she is shedding quite a bit.

This is when we first brought her home, her first night actually:
864C05A6-4398-4B60-ABF1-8F3ABC683783.jpeg

And in my initial post is her a year later lol here’s a close up of her slight brown patches coming in
4F639B19-B722-4166-AACD-254B24A15ED1.jpeg

Yes! My Alaskan Klee Kai was like that!

She was skinny with pretty short reasonable hair up until her second year! And she just kinda “poofed” out as we like to call it 😂😂

Here she is, I wanna say about a year old:View attachment 169405

And then her hair started getting longer and more red the closer she got to 2:
View attachment 169406

And then she turned 2 and “poofed”:
View attachment 169407

It was quite the dramatic transformation LOLOLOL!

And Yuki is showing the same symptoms- her hair is getting longer, she’s starting to get light brown patches on her legs, ears, and spine, and actually has faint small brown spots around her paws, and she is shedding quite a bit.

This is when we first brought her home, her first night actually:View attachment 169408

And in my initial post is her a year later lol here’s a close up of her slight brown patches coming inView attachment 169409

You have some gorgeous dogs!! I met a Klee Kai once here while walking my dog. I'd never seen one before! Lovely little dog, looked just like a mini husky! When I asked her about what breed he was and she said "Klee kai" I had to make her repeat it like three times, then google them once I got home. Adorable dogs!
Haha yes, the coat thing is definitely a weird thing! I've seen the same kind of colour and coat changes in a few breeds, like an Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees cross that I know. Started out very dark patches and a mask as a pup, and got much lighter and different markings as he's growing. Fun to watch! Poofing out is a perfect way to describe how it happens. :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back