What do I do with these plants ...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
First of all Iā€™m not too happy with the quality of the tropica plants when Iā€™ve received them from an online retailer. The plants looks wilted and also the packaging is not like original packaging I get from another shop. I canā€™t get them anywhere else hence why Iā€™ve chosen this retailer but never again.

I washed the plants, removed any dead leafs and planted them in my 5G tank. Iā€™ve also popped in some root tabs and some API Leaf Zone.

Below are the pictures from today. The tank is cycling so Iā€™ve only topped up the water.
Should I remove them all or just the rotting parts?

E0F3BAD0-B4EC-4F0D-A7F4-2C7B30B2A359.jpeg
12AC60AF-88C3-49EB-8CDF-602F50EC1EC3.jpeg
478AAF57-CF97-4CC2-AD29-0C37FA0D484F.jpeg

Are the the first two anubias or swords? If anubias, the rhizome shouldn't be buried - usually people attach them to wood or rock. Same goes for the java fern in your last pic

Last edited:
I think the first two are Anubisas and the latter are java fern all these plants need rising to rocks or wood so that their roots are exposed to the water. If you plant them like this they will die off

And if any of them are swords, which I *think* some are, they shouldn't be buried so deep either. Plant them so the roots are buried, but the crown - the bit all the leaves are coming from - is above the surface. The new leaves have to push through the centre of that crown to emerge, and shouldn't be buried so deep, the crown could rot, and any leaves that do push through may be damaged by going through the substrate.

The one near the filter is Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus Tropica Java Fern). The one in first picture is Anubias barteri Coffeefolia Tropica. The one in the second picture is Anubias angustifolia Tropica. So yes, java fern and Anubias.

In my main tank my Java Fern is just on the substrate and it seems to thrive, perhaps I will pull the java fern out a bit as I've buried it too deep.
I will try to source some decorations to tie down the other 2 Anubias. The tank is only 5G so don't want to take too much space up.

Thanks all, I am not too clued up about plants.

P/S: I was following guide from this link : https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/aquarium-plants/anubias-barteri/#:~:text=Planting Methods: Anubias plants can,to porous rocks or driftwood.

It seems to suggest Abubias are ok to plant in substrate?
You can plant the roots in the substrate, but the rhizome, the thicker stem bit that the leaves and roots come from, mustn't be buried, or it'll rot. Yours are buried too deep, lift them enough that the rhizome stem is above the substrate.

The article in your link does say that the rhizome must be on top of the substrate.

P/S: I was following guide from this link : https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/aquarium-plants/anubias-barteri/#:~:text=Planting Methods: Anubias plants can,to porous rocks or driftwood.

It seems to suggest Abubias are ok to plant in substrate?
Checked your link, it does say about the rhizome not being buried, but it didn't stress how important that part is, so easy to miss ;) Same goes for java fern etc, any rhizome plant.

"Another aspect of anubias care relates to planting. When planting Anubias Barteri its important to not completely bury the rhizome. Instead, make sure the rhizome is on top of the substrate so that the rhizome visible to the eye."

The bit circled in red is the rhizome, you can plant the roots (blue) since the roots don't tend to be very long, and they like to wrap around something to anchor the plant, most people choose to attach it to a hardscape. Plus that leaves more room for rooted plants :D
anubiasRhizome.JPG

Checked your link, it does say about the rhizome not being buried, but it didn't stress how important that part is, so easy to miss ;) Same goes for java fern etc, any rhizome plant.

"Another aspect of anubias care relates to planting. When planting Anubias Barteri its important to not completely bury the rhizome. Instead, make sure the rhizome is on top of the substrate so that the rhizome visible to the eye."

The bit circled in red is the rhizome, you can plant the roots (blue) since the roots don't tend to be very long, and they like to wrap around something to anchor the plant, most people choose to attach it to a hardscape. Plus that leaves more room for rooted plants :D
View attachment 119729
And if you cut the rhizome somewhere in the middle of the circled bit you will have two anubias plants :)

I attach them to my tree stumps, both anubias and crested java ferns, I am slowly moving some of my java ferns and replacing them with anubias.

Attachments

• GEDC1528.JPG
    GEDC1528.JPG
    356.2 KB · Views: 53
  • GEDC1523.JPG
    GEDC1523.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 52

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back