What disease is this!?!?! And what should I do!?!?!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Great! Do a 70% water change to ensure water is clean. Then use this schedule:
Day 1- Use both Kanaplex and Furan-2 according to package directions for your size tank.
Day 2 - 25% water change and another dose of Furan-2 only.
Day 3 - Use both meds.
Day 4 - 25% water change and Furan-2 only.
Day 5 - Use both
Day 6 - Do nothing
Day 7-Do large water change of 75%

Great! Do a 70% water change to ensure water is clean. Then use this schedule:
Day 1- Use both Kanaplex and Furan-2 according to package directions for your size tank.
Day 2 - 25% water change and another dose of Furan-2 only.
Day 3 - Use both meds.
Day 4 - 25% water change and Furan-2 only.
Day 5 - Use both
Day 6 - Do nothing
Day 7-Do large water change of 75%
Thank you sooo much!!!

No problem. I sincerely hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

I’m using the medicine and it seems the infection is still progressing @Deanasue

Attachments

• BF8D4992-307A-45D0-9FED-2DBF95DEAF23.jpeg
    BF8D4992-307A-45D0-9FED-2DBF95DEAF23.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 81
Oh gosh, then I’m afraid it’s what we were hoping it wasn’t...Columnaris. It’s usually fatal and best thing to do is to euthanize the fish. I was so hoping that wasn’t the case and I’m so sorry if it is. You’ve done all you can do. @Colin_T what do you think?

It just looks like fungus to me.
If it was Columnaris the fish would be dead by now and its face would have been eaten away by the bacteria.

Salt and Methylene Blue or salt and an anti-fungal remedy would have been my choice of medication. Triple Sulpha/ Tri Sulfer might also work, however, a lot of diseases are becoming resistant to it now.

If you can get an anti-fungal medication and the fish is still eating and swimming normally, then don't kill it yet.
If you can't get anti-fungal medications but the fish is still eating, try using salt.
If the fish stops eating or has trouble swimming, then euthanise it.

I would euthanize it but Colin T knows a lot. You may want to try his suggestion first. The meds you have it on should have helped with fungus too. It looks just like mine did with Columnaris. There are 2 types of Columnaris, one moves quickly and the other strain is a little slower. Mine had the slower strain. Sad thing is that it is a very contagious disease and can wipe out your entire tank. Again, I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid at this point, that I’m not. Hoping for the best.

I think I will euthanize my fish, it’s really sad to see them all eaten up from the infection, most of there mouths are eaten away. I have otos and Cory’s in there they been through the same meds, do you guys think they are infected also?

They have no
I think I will euthanize my fish, it’s really sad to see them all eaten up from the infection, most of there mouths are eaten away. I have otos and Cory’s in there they been through the same meds, do you guys think they are infected also?
No visual signs of infection on my Cory’s or otos

If they show no signs then give them some time and see how they do. The tank needs to be disinfected to kill columnaris. I had to remove everything and bleach the entire tank, gravel, decor, filter, etc. it’s a lot of work. You can keep the fish in the tank and see what happens or you can get aggressive and put them in a quarantine tank. Then break down the tank and disinfect it. Of course, that means cycling all over again unless you have another tank to get some established filter media from to seed the filter. I left my tank dry and empty for a month before I put anything back in it. Columnaris is horrible. I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. If your fish are being eaten away then I have no doubt it is columnaris. One of my fish was fine one night and the next morning half her face was gone and full of columnaris fibers. Horrible!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back