What Did I Get Myself Into?

6ad8ffa6bcc12174400fb2b7d584e553.jpeg.jpg

Responded to a guys tank issues on a Facebook group and suggested he do weekly 70% water changes. I was told that was way too much. I was even warned that I was going to crash my cycle. Why? The nitrifying bacteria isn’t in the water!?!
In a fishless cycle, I would not change water for a while until the plants (if you have them) require and do mostly 30% WCs. Its not so much that bacteria lives in the water, its more letting the biofilm grow and keeping things undisturbed for the bacteria to settle in. Depending on the susbtrate you use, you often mess things around doing large WCs. I wouldn't say it would crash the cycle but my experience certainly vouches for doing fewer WCs speeding up the cycling.
if you have some hardy fish in there (Not recommended) while cycling, you need to use Prime to suspend the nasty stuff. Aerating and frequently testing water are a given in either cases. Just my view based on my experience in setting up 3 tanks (disclaimer: I'm relatively new to this hobby)

This is not debating about whether do to WC's during a cycle. They are talking about an established aquarium that is fully cycled. This FB person is saying that it will cause your tank to recycle (always recycle guys) if you do large water changes on an ESTABLISHED aquarium.

It would be interesting to see what the environmentalists would say if every time there was a tropical down pour a plane flew over and dumped a whole lot of dechlorinator in the rivers to make them safe for the fish.
Planes dump other stuff before they land, fuel, stuff from the chemical toilets, etc.

Less weight in the aircraft puts less pressure on the tyres and makes it less likely the tyres will pop on landing.

Less fuel means less chance of fire, or a smaller fire if the plane crashes and the wings are damaged releasing highly flammable fuel.

I knew there were reasons I don't like flying. :)

Reactions: kwi
Planes dump other stuff before they land, fuel, stuff from the chemical toilets, etc.
No they don’t. That’s an old tale. My friend works for Southwest Airlines and laughs at that story all the time. Toilets don’t get dumped in mid air. Fuel only in an extreme emergency. They foam down the runways now.

In a fishless cycle, I would not change water for a while until the plants (if you have them) require and do mostly 30% WCs. Its not so much that bacteria lives in the water, its more letting the biofilm grow and keeping things undisturbed for the bacteria to settle in. Depending on the susbtrate you use, you often mess things around doing large WCs. I wouldn't say it would crash the cycle but my experience certainly vouches for doing fewer WCs speeding up the cycling.
if you have some hardy fish in there (Not recommended) while cycling, you need to use Prime to suspend the nasty stuff. Aerating and frequently testing water are a given in either cases. Just my view based on my experience in setting up 3 tanks (disclaimer: I'm relatively new to this hobby)
Where did you get fishless cycle from? We were discussing water changes in established tanks. I believe you got confused. :)

My photo was in response to someone claiming the rain needs dechlorinator.

No they don’t. That’s an old tale. My friend works for Southwest Airlines and laughs at that story all the time. Toilets don’t get dumped in mid air. Fuel only in an extreme emergency. They foam down the runways now.
The military still dump fuel, it really depends on the safe max landing weights, the U2 spy plane had to virtually be on fumes before it came below that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back