What dH for Chili Rasboras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Will they be going in a new tank or one that's been running for at least several months? One sentence in Seriously Fish's profile that you need to take note of
"Do not introduce any Boraras sp. to a biologically-immature aquarium as they can be susceptible to swings in water chemistry."

They need a mature tank, not just a newly cycled tank.

Will they be going in a new tank or one that's been running for at least several months? One sentence in Seriously Fish's profile that you need to take note of
"Do not introduce any Boraras sp. to a biologically-immature aquarium as they can be susceptible to swings in water chemistry."

They need a mature tank, not just a newly cycled tank.
ok thanks. ill cycle it for a while with a goldfish

Please don't use a fish to cycle the tank, it's cruel. And definitely not in a 10 gallon tank, if you are talking about the same tank as your other thread.

Chili rasboras do better in a heavily planted tank, so you can cycle it using plants then let it run for a few months with just the plants to let it mature.

Please don't use a fish to cycle the tank, it's cruel. And definitely not in a 10 gallon tank, if you are talking about the same tank as your other thread.

Chili rasboras do better in a heavily planted tank, so you can cycle it using plants then let it run for a few months with just the plants to let it mature.
oh ok. ill do that. I was just wondering why is it cruel if you put lots of tetra safestart? I just started a new 20 gallon like that and the ammonia and nitrite are both 0 and I already have nitrates. It's only been about 10 days. I'm cycling it with 2 fancy guppies and they seem to be doing fine.

None of the bacterial starters cycle a tank instantly, they just make it faster.

But chili rasboras need a tank that's been running for 6 months minimum - that's a mature tank - not just a cycled tank. And they need a densely planted tank to do well. The simplest thing for these fish is to set up the tank, plants then leave it for the plants to grow for a few months before getting the fish. These are not the hardiest of fish, they can be very delicate in the wrong tank.

None of the bacterial starters cycle a tank instantly, they just make it faster.

But chili rasboras need a tank that's been running for 6 months minimum - that's a mature tank - not just a cycled tank. And they need a densely planted tank to do well. The simplest thing for these fish is to set up the tank, plants then leave it for the plants to grow for a few months before getting the fish. These are not the hardiest of fish, they can be very delicate in the wrong tank.
ok thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it! Happy Thanksgiving!

just realized you are in the UK :oops:

So are lots of members - and 2 other moderators :) And we have a moderator (and members) from the Netherlands as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back