What colour of sand for mbuna tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Robaidh

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Been a long time since I posted on here. I picked up another tank locally that was to cheap to say no.

I'm going to do another mbuna tank but can't decide on colour of sand. Previously I have used black moon sand which I love. However I've seen a few white Sands in mbuna tanks that look great.

I'm looking for people's opinions on the pros and cons of both black and white.

Personally I'd use coral sand as it will help buffer the pH by raising the mineral and carbonate hardness of the water. Fish always look better against a dark substrate though.

I agree with post #2 on both points. White, as in pure white, is something to be avoided in any fish tank. I know some people have this, but the fact remains that no fish we have in aquaria live over white substrates in nature, and it is stressful. What goes in a fish tank should suit the fish's needs, not our preferences. Coral sand (a buff colour) will be light but not white, and provide the mineral benefit, though that may not be necessary if your source water is naturally high in GH and KH to begin with.

I prefer dark substrate no matter the species. It seems that fish develop better colors with low lighting and dark substrate. Unless you have plants that require high output lighting, which kind of works against my personal experience.

Perfect thanks guys. I think I'll go for dark then. I've had it before and liked it.

I'll need to order up some ammonia to do a fishless cycle. Is their any particular brand that you recommend.? I know not to use house hold cleaning stuff ect but I've come across a couple different makes. Any suggestions?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back