What Cichlid is this

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what kind of Cichlid this is please I Know it’s a Malawi but that’s it
2F3DECFC-AB14-4C32-AB1F-BFF609301B7A.jpeg

The one on the right is an electric blue acara. They are quite peaceful for cichlids and would not mix well with African cichlids.

I'm unsure of species, but the other is likely from Malawi as mentioned, possibly a hybrid. There's a species that looks similar but usually has a bit more blue in it. This one may be a hybrid.

I know about the blue acara I have two which are possibly my favourite fish and as for the Malawi I hve another that is blue with back strips, I bought them as peacocks but the colours seem dull just confused as to what they are , they are aggressive but so is everything else in my tank even my Bolivian rams are aggressive

Its more about the water chemistry than the aggression. Though 9/10 times an African cichlid will be much more aggressive and do more damage than a South American.

Africans need high ph and hard water, South Americans need low ph and soft water - both can do ok in neutral but you generally add either something like crushed coral to up the ph and hardness for africans or add driftwood and botanicals for south americans to lower the ph and soften it.

Not keeping fish in the right kind of water will drastically shorten their lifespan which with cichlids can be around 10 years down to 18 - 24 months.

For me it is an either or situation and that way you will get the best results for your tank and have a less stressful tank for the fish and for you.

Wills

And to add, wills touched on a matter that I did not and is 100% correct. Find out your gh and stock either Americans or Africans.

As far as aggression, the ram and acara stand zero chance against aggressive African cichlids.

Mbuna have a rounded head and peacocks are more pointed.

And to add, wills touched on a matter that I did not and is 100% correct. Find out your gh and stock either Americans or Africans.

As far as aggression, the ram and acara stand zero chance against aggressive African cichlids.

Mbuna have a rounded head and peacocks are more pointed.
My Gh on the soft side of neutral I keep a leopard plec
Pair of blue acara
Pair of Bolivian rams
Pair of convict cichlids
5 tiger barb
A red tail shark
And a pair of this unknown Cichlid ,
I did have 3 angelfish in there but Iv had to place in a smaller tank because they were getting stressed other than tht they have established a pecking order and live well together

7.5 German degrees - aka 7.5 dH - is soft water. It is fine for south American cichlids but too soft for Rift Lake cichlids.

7.5 German degrees - aka 7.5 dH - is soft water. It is fine for south American cichlids but too soft for Rift Lake cichlids.
Is that what it is do you think ? I’m not sure what it is I assumed it was a Malawi could be wrong

Lake Malawi is one of the rift lakes in Africa. African cichlids require hard water.

Your tank is a good size, but I'd strongly suggest rethinking your stocking plans as some of these fish should be rehomed.

The acara,pleco, ram, red tail shark, and tiger barbs should be compatible at least on paper. As always, fish have their own personality and sometimes things just don't work out even though they should.

The convicts is a solid maybe. A single convict may work, but even then these are some of the most aggressive fish for their size. They normally do very well with fish larger than them for this reason. Many times they will kill similar sized fish.

A pair of convicts is a different story. They will breed and will terrorize everything.

If you want to keep 1 convict, give it a shot, monitor closely, and step in if needed. This issue is one you may have eventually even if things are OK now.

The African cichlids should be rehomed. They are too aggressive and need hard water as well.

The good thing is that most of your fish will be just fine for the extent of their life right where they are now.

Most reactions

trending

Back