What can prosper in a 10g?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Like my good friend Polardbear says a 10gal is too small for Swordies, at 1" of fish per gallon you run out of room fast (my big female is about four inches) and then you can only have three Swordtails in that small of a tank. The females have no place to get away from the male and the fry will have no place to hide. Since Swordies are very canabalistic you want the fry to have room and lots of plants to hide in. Go with guppies in that small of a tank.

But I dont want guppys. The whole point of having them is to make more - The world does not need more guppys. Donny my neighbor has 2 female and 1 male guppy, and he has like 5 million fry swiming all over the place....I dont want that many!

Well what about platys?
No one here who knows anything about livebearers is going to advise you to put swordtails or mollys in a 10gal, simply because there isn't the space for them- i suggest you get a 20gal tank if you want swordtails or mollys and use the 10gal as a fry tank.
You see most people use a 10gal as the fry tank itself and a larger tank for the adult fish, with livebarers you are going to get loads of fry and i think you are misguided that you are going to get any less fry with mollys or swordtails- mollys and swordtails can easily have and excess of 100fry from a fully mature female and the fry take much longer to grow and mature than guppy or platty fry too- it only takes 6months for guppy fry to fully mature while it can take over a year for swordtail or molly fry to mature.

Or what about Endlers? :)

Platies get pretty big for a 10 gallon too. I have a lot of 2-3" Platies, and they are very active, so I can't see them in a 10 gallon for life either.

The only thing I can think of that can REALLY be happy in a 10 gallon is Guppies or Endlers.

Ethos, are you planning on keeping these fish in the 10 gallon forever, or are you planning on moving them somewhere else when they get bigger? The idea I got, when I first posted, was that you were growing them up in the 10 gallon, then moving them somewhere else? Perhaps I was wrong...

ok...reading through this is making me sick, honestly.....you want to flush your current fish, or put them in a 5 gallon tank where they will be absolutely miserable, because you are bored with them....you dont want guppies because they reproduce so fast, yet you want a tank full of livebearers which WILL reproduce and you'll most likely end up killing all of their fry because you dont want them....your two favorite choices are mollies and swordtails which are both too large for a 10 gallon tank, not to mention mollies should have some salt....

the only advice i would give to you is to give your current fish to the pet store and actually THINK about what you want this time so you arent flusing fry (and full-grown fish) by the hundreds......maybe leave the tank empty for a month and see if you still want to keep fish then....you are right, the world does not need more guppies, nor does it need more platies, swords, mollies, endlers, or fish abusers...

EDIT: yes it was blunt, and I'm sorry that I may offend, but c'mon - he/she even has a thing about embracing Jesus in their sig, and are speaking of killing living creatures in an extremely inhumane way because they're boring

Well, that was blunt...
If you want livebearer fish, then get all males. That way there are no fry to contend with. And go for smaller fish (not the swordtails or mollies). And take your unwanted fish to the lfs.

EDIT:
I agree with what you said totally... it was just funny to me the way you just put it out there to him. :lol: (No offense taken, not by me anyway.)

Gouramis and barbs live for quite a few years though.
I suggest if you realy don't want them, rehome them at your lfs or put up an add in your local paper or somthing, but don't kill or throw them away just because you don't like them anymore.
A major part of fish keeping is take responsablity for your own actions- these are not toys or furniture we are talking about, but lives, and when you keep any kind of pet you have to take and show some degree of proper responsability over its life.

I suggest you give what fish you go for next, give a long think about them before you get them. You have barely had these fish for any decent ammount of time and now you are prepared to throw them away.
Do you realy want livebearers?
Are you going to take proper responsability for their fry?
Are you going to give them to right amount of space for them to prosper?
Can you handle the responsability of fish keeping?

These are some of the few questions you should be seriously asking yourself, i don't want to know you are just going to throw away your next fish because you cannot handle the responsability of keeping it or cannot cope with the amount of fry it produces or you have got bored with it.
Fish keeping is what you make it, i know it is not the most "exciting" of hobbys at times, but if you look after your properly and also with the right amount of patience, time and care they can be very rewarding.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
i know it is not the most "exciting" of hobbys at times, but if you look after your properly and also with the right amount of patience, time and care they can be very rewarding.
and that is the key to fishkeeping that many others never grasp! well said tokis-phoenix

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back