What can I stock my 10 gallon with??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aurelia.Soothill

Reaction score
I recently got a 54L (approx.10gallon) fishtank and absolutely love it. I used to have a 17L tank with 6 guppies in it, and one cardinal tetra from when my niece had one left over. So when I got the new tank, I transferred them to it and got a tiger nerite snail. So... I have 6 guppies, 1 neon and 1 snail. What else can I stock my tank with? I love the idea of fancy goldfish as a main goldfish and maybe a few more neons to go with the original one. What do you guys recommend? Can I even put a fancy goldfish or two with the guppies? Any feedback would be highly appreciated!!!

I would leave the stocking as is. It's pretty crazy right now. 10 gallons is way too small for a fancy goldfish. :)

What is your GH? Guppies need a gh of over 200ppm and the cardinal needs super soft water so these dont really work together. You can find your gh on your local water providers website

i got my water tested at my LFS and they said it was ok... what sort of fishtank do you own? I’m curious to learn more as I’ve scoured the internet for answers but keep coming back to the same ones!!

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH.

i got my water tested at my LFS and they said it was ok... what sort of fishtank do you own? I’m curious to learn more as I’ve scoured the internet for answers but keep coming back to the same ones!!
I have a 55 gallon, a 10 gallon, two one gallons (too small for any fish but good for snails and shrimp) a 3.5 gallon betta tank and am currently setting up a 42 gallon :)

What answers have you come across while searching?

I would also keep it like that but probably rehome the neon tetra. Also if you like snail you could probably have something like a mystery snail, I miss mine, they are very fun to watch especially when they let themself fall from the glass of the tank (some eat plants).

I would also keep it like that but probably rehome the neon tetra. Also if you like snail you could probably have something like a mystery snail, I miss mine, they are very fun to watch especially when they let themself fall from the glass of the tank (some eat plants).
I love mine. He goes up to the top and falls off and floats down and does it all again

I have a 55 gallon, a 10 gallon, two one gallons (too small for any fish but good for snails and shrimp) a 3.5 gallon betta tank and am currently setting up a 42 gallon :)

What answers have you come across while searching?
They keep on saying that for a 10 gallon you could have a small shoal of guppies, a small shoal of neons and one or two dwarf gourami, what do you think about that? I also love platies and mollies. What do you think the ideal 10 gallon setup with those sort of fish in mind is? Thanks for replying so fast! :)

@JuiceBox52 Is correct about your water and fish selections, Guppies can handle a wider range of hardness then many fish but are primarily moderate to hard water fish. Cardinal and neon tetra are soft water fish. Do you know what type of water you have?

Last edited:
I agree with what was said above.

Fancy goldfish need huge tanks.

Neon tetras need to be in groups of 6 or more and they need a least a 20g long tank to be happy. I suggest you give your 1 neon tetras away to your LFS.

If you remove the neon tetra and you just have the guppies, that might be OK. (Depending on what your GH is)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH.
Tank dimensions are: 58.5cm length, 30.5cm depth and 38.3cm height. I’ve tried looking up my water stats but can’t seem to find them anywhere. I live in Durham City if that helps

I agree with what was said above.

Fancy goldfish need huge tanks.

Neon tetras need to be in groups of 6 or more and they need a least a 20g long tank to be happy. I suggest you give your 1 neon tetras away to your LFS.

If you remove the neon tetra and you just have the guppies, that might be OK. (Depending on what your GH is)
Are you sure I can only have a shoal if guppies in the tank? They it just seems so small and even with the guppies too the tank looks so empty. I’ve seen many 10G fishtanks online with a beautiful range of fish without obvious overcrowding...

@JuiceBox52 Is correct about your water and fish selections, Guppies can handle a wider range of hardness then many fish but a primarily moderate to hard water fish. Cardinal and neon tetra are soft water fish. Do you know what type of water you have?
I’m not sure what kind of water I have... I live in Durham city if that helps?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back