What can I mix with my Malawi Cichlids?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Fish-human

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 75 gal tank with 11 fish that include: Red Zebra, Kenyi, Electric Yellow, Auratus, and more. I am just wondering, what other fish can you mix with my African cichlids?

My water quality (ppm):
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate- 20
Nitrite- 0
Hardness- 25
Alkalinity- 90
pH- 7.8

Some catfish species can get along, just stick to species of synodontis. Other than that, only other Africans should be with them.

+1 on the synodontus. Multifasciatus are great. Also depending on your parameters some smaller puffers could work. If you use salt gsp, if not sap

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

+1 on the synodontus. Multifasciatus are great. Also depending on your parameters some smaller puffers could work. If you use salt gsp, if not sap

I must correct this...puffers will not work with rift lake cichlids. And salt, meaning common sodium chloride salt as used for brackish or marine fish, should not be used with freshwater fish like rift lake cichlids. The mineral salts to make their water harder is OK, as this will not contain common salt, just the hard mineral salts of calcium, magnesium, etc.

I must correct this...puffers will not work with rift lake cichlids. And salt, meaning common sodium chloride salt as used for brackish or marine fish, should not be used with freshwater fish like rift lake cichlids. The mineral salts to make their water harder is OK, as this will not contain common salt, just the hard mineral salts of calcium, magnesium, etc.
Right I mean cichlid salt for hard water varieties. I've seen green spotted puffers thrive in these conditions with convicts, yellow labs, and julis in a 75. I'm currently keeping south american puffers with orthochromis stormsi, kribensis, syno brichardi and petricolas, and hillstream loaches - all together in a river-tank manifold system about 7.5 ph so I feel confident in this recommendation as far as mixing puffs with cichlids. SAPs love the current but it's not all that necessary imo

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back