What Can I Mix With Guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmyStardust

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hiya!

We've got an empty 50 Litre tank at the mo (fully mature filter) and I'm just wondering what I can have in there...?

My little boy really wants Guppies (the tank was his b'day prezzy) but I'm just wondering what I can mix with them?

Can I mix Neon's with Guppies? Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers, Amy :good:

Hiya!

We've got an empty 50 Litre tank at the mo (fully mature filter) and I'm just wondering what I can have in there...?

My little boy really wants Guppies (the tank was his b'day prezzy) but I'm just wondering what I can mix with them?

Can I mix Neon's with Guppies? Any suggestions would be great!

Cheers, Amy :good:

You could have 5 Guppies , 5 Neons , 5 Khuli Loaches and maybe a pair of Sparkling Gouramis

If you dont want to get over run with fry i would go for a group of 5 males.
In a 50l you could have
5 guppies
5 neons
5 corys
1 centre piece something like a honey gourami

In a 50l you could have
5 guppies
5 neons
5 corys

Would you really want just one honey gourami on it's own though? Do they do well on their own?

Oh great - that was more than I was expecting! My son will be happy!

Should I buy them in stages? It's just that I'm pregnant and due on Thursday so I'm a bit pushed for time! Lol!

What would you guys recomend adding first? I don't want to ammonia bomb the tank!! :crazy:

Should I buy them in stages? It's just that I'm pregnant and due on Thursday so I'm a bit pushed for time! Lol!

What would you guys recomend adding first? I don't want to ammonia bomb the tank!!
crazy.gif

Neons are probally the best to add first

In a 50l you could have
5 guppies
5 neons
5 corys

Would you really want just one honey gourami on it's own though? Do they do well on their own?

They do fine on there own or in pairs/groups. And if its one its own you dont have to worry about the males harrasing females or 2 males fighting.

What would you guys recomend adding first? I don't want to ammonia bomb the tank!!
crazy.gif

I would add the neons last there known for not being that hardy and often dying in new tanks. I would add the guppies or honey gourami first.

Congrats on the baby!

I'd add the Guppies first. Firstly it'll keep your son happy (lol) and secondly you won't then have the problem of adding more fish at a time than your filter can cope with ( I think the ruleis that you should never more than double your stock at any one time). If you got the Honey first and left it like that for a while then you'd only be able to add 2 fish next time. So I'd say Guppies first, then Corys/Kulis, then Honey then do the Neons last in a few months.

Hope it all goes well! :D

In a 50l you could have
5 guppies
5 neons
5 corys

They do fine on there own or in pairs/groups. And if its one its own you dont have to worry about the males harrasing females or 2 males fighting.

crazy.gif

I

I would add the neons last there known for not being that hardy and often dying in new tanks. I would add the guppies or honey gourami first.

Ill second that, the neons should be added when the tank is atleast 6 months old. If you add them earlier than than, they will all probably die at the same time. I learn that the hard way :sad:
Congrats on the baby!

Guppies it is to begin with then! :good:

If I'm still pregnant this weekend we'll take a trip down to a great Tropical Fish place I know!

Thanks for all the advice guys! :good:

If its for the kid, I'd go simple.

Get 2 male and 4 female guppies, all completely different colours, then only a few things that wont bother the fry (a group of corydoras is always fun).

That way he'll be able to watch them breed and get all sorts of interesting colour combinations in the offspring. They tend to regulate themselves as the adults will eat the excess young, so you shouldn't get over stocked and its relatively self sustaining for as long as you want, just don't sell any of the babies to people as you don't want to mix the strains up in the wider world.

great fun and very educational.

And congratulations.

Mine didn't eat any of the fry and I got overrun. Only got 2 females left now though (or maybe one). The angels didn't even eat the fry!!! :grr:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back