What can I do with a two-gallon cube aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

CherryBerry670

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, my aunt gave me a early birthday present this year of a two-gallon rimless cube aquarium. What do I do with it? Shrimp? Snails? Worldā€™s tiniest sump?

Cherry. Your options are very limited. You could set it up with some small polished gravel and a small Anubias plant for the bottom. Add a few stems of Anacharis for the top. Fill it and make sure you treat the tap water and add some bacteria starter. Get a cup full of used gravel from the local fish store to instantly cycle the tank and allow everything to run for a few days. Then, you could add a few Neon Tetras. Just change half the tank water every few days and always use the bacteria starter when you perform a water change.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Iā€™ve never done a terrarium before, so Iā€™d rather just do a aquarium. Is a mystery snail with either Orange or Red Rili shrimp suitable for this aquarium? Iā€™m buying a co2 system, so I can keep pretty much any kind of plant. Iā€™m considering maybe putting a small anubis, a moss ball..and maybe bamboo or micro swords for the back? Either Java moss or Monte Carlo for the carpet? Do you guys think Iā€™d overcrowd the shrimp with all those plants?

Iā€™d prefer to not do any fish, as the cube is really, really small. Do I need a filter for my shrimp? Iā€™m pretty sure a sponge is too big for this aquarium.

Last edited:
Do you have an other tanks?
Be sure you properly cycle the tank before adding a snail or any shrimp.

Yep, lots of plants, a really cool looking stick or two, and a colony of shrimp and small snails (I like ramshorns; pond snails or nerites would work too). Mystery snails are surprisingly active and like a lot of space. I had one in my 150g and she used the entire tank!

I advise not bothering with a CO2 system for such a tiny tank (I don't use one for any of mine). Stick with easy plants: Java moss, Salvinia cucullata, smaller anubias crypt species. Micro sword might work, but a tank this small doesn't really need carpet plants to look great..

In that case, Iā€™ll nix the mystery snail and get the nerite snail, plus MTS. Not sure where to find driftwood this small, honestly. Maybe a really, really tiny piece of dragonstone? I currently have a 75 gallon thatā€™s being set up for tetras, and two betta tanks. And am also asking for permission to get a mantis shrimp tank. The co2 system just has a manifold block add-on, so I attempt to get all my tanks set up with it. But yeah, this is probably too small. I will cycle: I just couldnā€™t really figure out what to do with the thing since itā€™s so small.

In that case, Iā€™ll nix the mystery snail and get the nerite snail, plus MTS. Not sure where to find driftwood this small, honestly. Maybe a really, really tiny piece of dragonstone? I currently have a 75 gallon thatā€™s being set up for tetras, and two betta tanks. And am also asking for permission to get a mantis shrimp tank. The co2 system just has a manifold block add-on, so I attempt to get all my tanks set up with it. But yeah, this is probably too small. I will cycle: I just couldnā€™t really figure out what to do with the thing since itā€™s so small.
Have you already decided...?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back