What breed of fish is this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hughand

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought 6 fish but when I got home I realised that the incorrect species breed was on the tank. I have no idea what breed these fish are and I need to know as I may have been giving them the wrong care.

Could someone identify my mystery fish for me?

Thanks
67335463_2214189548679720_130163510800809984_n.jpg

Might it be a long finned serpae tetra?
Newly transferred fish loose their colour but should brighten after a day or so.
what was the tank label?

This tetra is one of some 30 species commonly referred to as the "rosy tetra clade" within the genus Hyphessobrycon that share several traits in colour and pattern. All species are somewhat disk-shaped and share the "flag" signal, being a very conspicuous black spot on the dorsal fin, usually underlined by a white or sometimes yellow zone and tipped with white depending upon species. They also share a darkened humeral or shoulder patch immediately posterior of the gill covers. Several have a red or mauve body tone (some like the Black Phantom do not).

From your photo I would suggest this species may be Hyphessobrycon rosaceus, the Rosy Tetra. The ornate tetra, H. bentosi, is very similar. And fish under stress (as they would be if newly acquired or if the water/environment is not suited) are often paler or less distinct in identifying traits. There are new species sharing many of the same traits appearing in the hobby making ID even more difficult.

What did the store say this species is?

EDIT. As I was typing, Naughts posted; Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) is certainly one of the species in this "Rosy clade" but not the one pictured in my view.

Male “Rosy” Tetra

Scientific name: Hyphessobrycon rosaceus

Common name: Rosy tetra

Family: Characidae

Usual size in fish tanks: 3 - 4 cm (1.18 - 1.57 inch)

Recommended pH range for the species: 5.8 - 7.5

Recommended water hardness (dGH): 4 - 12°N (71.43 - 214.29ppm)

0°C 32°F30°C 86°F

Recommended temperature: 24 - 28 °C (75.2 - 82.4°F)

The way how these fish reproduce: Spawning

Where the species comes from: South America

Temperament to its own species: peaceful

Temperament toward other fish species: peaceful

Usual place in the tank: Middle levels

Short description

These fish make a great addition to the aquarium, the males displaying the brightest colouration. Most specimens available in today’s market are tank bred but this does not take away from their beauty, they are also classed as a peaceful species and get on well with other tank mates as long as they are kept in a small group. If one or two specimens are kept they can become fin nippers but a group usually means that they tend to keep themselves to themselves and any fin nipping should not occur. They will be fine in a planted aquarium but these are not necessary as aquatic plants would not occur in their natural habitat. Keep the lighting dimmed and never keep these fish with aggressive tank mates. They will do well with smaller cichlid species, rasboras or similar.

This is at least my description. :)

Thanks everyone for the information. First time posting in this forum and everyone was so helpful.

It said on the tank in Pets at Home that it was a Peppered Corydoras, I did research for that species before buying them. I decided to do a little more research and saw a picture... and clearly it's not a Corydoras haha.

Thanks everyone for the information. First time posting in this forum and everyone was so helpful.

It said on the tank in Pets at Home that it was a Peppered Corydoras, I did research for that species before buying them. I decided to do a little more research and saw a picture... and clearly it's not a Corydoras haha.

No idea of your tank size, but a couple more would be a good idea. This is a very beautiful tetra once it settles in, and the interaction between male/female and displays between rival males is very interesting. A group of 8-9 would be my suggestion (you have six, so another three). Very peaceful. It will remain in the lower half of the aquarium, among plants usually. Likes it very quiet.

BTW, welcome to TFF. Missed this previously. :hi:

Very nice looking fish wouldn't mind one of them ( by the way I am like that with nearly every fish I see.):p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back