What baby snails are these?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gksch

Reaction score
I have a 9g planted tank where I have amazonian soil. I had a betta fish that was about 4 years old and died some months ago, around June. In January I brought two nerite snails (one tiger and one zebra) and they were living with the betta fish in the cycled tank in perfect harmony. there was a lot of algae and when the algae was scarce, I fed the snails with microwaved peas and green beans, which they loved. I started to fertilize the plants with Flourish and there was some algae growth until I got the fertilization cycle and amounts corrected. I decided to add some cherry shrimp as the tank was heavily planted and I feed them with shrimp king mineral, which the nerite snails LOVE. a few weeks after I added the shrimps I noticed that there were some tiny snail larvae on the glass of the tank. I imagine that they came with the shrimps somehow and I killed all the larvae (I just smashed them). I didn't see any snail larvae for about 3 weeks, then I saw some again, and again I killed them. Now I am seeing the same snail larvae again, and I have not introduced anything to the tank in a long time, there are no other adult snails besides the two nerites, which, btw, lay eggs non-stop. I keep inspecting the tank throughly looking for any other snails. I know nerites are not supposed to reproduce in the freshwater tank, and I imagined that maybe they could hatch but not develop any further. I decided that this time I would let the little snails live for a little long until I can see if they are nerites or not, because I don't know how they can still be hatching if they came by any chance with the shrimp package. Now the bigger larvae are starting to darken up and I can see them more often, but still, they are just slightly bigger than one nerite egg.

Does anyone have any idea if that is even possible? should I kill this larvae again and hope they stop hatching?

I have been observing them and they like to stay on the glass and on the plants, but they do not seem to be eating the plants.

I am sending some pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 88
From the photos they look like freshwater limpets - look at the photos here https://www.fishforums.net/threads/snail-species.75554/ and see if they look the same as your 'snails'.

They won't be nerite larvae. These are microscopic plankton-like larvae. The need salt water to survive and they need green water to feed on.

That sounds about right. I didn't even know about the existence of those.
I am very traumatized with pest snails, that's why I love my nerites. hopefully the nerites and cherry shrimp (which btw have a ton of babies now) will outcompete them for food.

Thank you for helping me out on this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back