What are you doing today?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm attempting to bake a vanilla/chocolate swirl bundt cake with a chocolate ganache as a topping!
I already can tell I'm gonna do miserably 😂😂
Well good luck on the outcome. :)

I don't really know what happened. I used to bake a lot, mostly breads, but haven't in years. :dunno: One cake I used to do was a double chocolate fudge cake layered and frosted with tapioca pudding. Both cake and pudding were totally from scratch including folding in whipped egg whites. Hey, I know it sounds weird but was REALLY good. Somewhere along the line I guess I just lost interest. Shoot I very seldom eat cake and such at all anymore. I used to make ice cream too but don't do that anymore either.

Today I'm just sort of chilling. I was watching the Senior Bowl but turned it off as I just could not get interested. I just don't watch enough college football to even know who the players are. BTW, The Senior Bowl is a college football all-star game.

Mayhaps I'll clean the outside of my tank's glass as it needs it. I have a bad habit of putting a hand on the glass when feeding. I use a high ammonia glass cleaner to do this...... LOL! Just kidding. I use an ammonia free aquatic safe glass cleaner. Probably should just use white vinegar as I believe that would be safe and is a good glass cleaner. Actually vinegar and crumpled up news paper is the best glass cleaner ever!

Just having one of those days where I feel like doing something but can't figure out what that something is. Thought about hitting the nature reserve next to my apartments with my camera but it is totally the wrong time of day for lighting as the sun is too much over head. Time for nature shots is early morning or evening when the sun is indirect.

LOL! I guess I'm just sort of bored and can't figure out what to do about it that would hold my interest. :dunno:

Well good luck on the outcome. :)

I don't really know what happened. I used to bake a lot, mostly breads, but haven't in years. :dunno: One cake I used to do was a double chocolate fudge cake layered and frosted with tapioca pudding. Both cake and pudding were totally from scratch including folding in whipped egg whites. Hey, I know it sounds weird but was REALLY good. Somewhere along the line I guess I just lost interest. Shoot I very seldom eat cake and such at all anymore. I used to make ice cream too but don't do that anymore either.

Today I'm just sort of chilling. I was watching the Senior Bowl but turned it off as I just could not get interested. I just don't watch enough college football to even know who the players are. BTW, The Senior Bowl is a college football all-star game.

Mayhaps I'll clean the outside of my tank's glass as it needs it. I have a bad habit of putting a hand on the glass when feeding. I use a high ammonia glass cleaner to do this...... LOL! Just kidding. I use an ammonia free aquatic safe glass cleaner. Probably should just use white vinegar as I believe that would be safe and is a good glass cleaner. Actually vinegar and crumpled up news paper is the best glass cleaner ever!

Just having one of those days where I feel like doing something but can't figure out what that something is. Thought about hitting the nature reserve next to my apartments with my camera but it is totally the wrong time of day for lighting as the sun is too much over head. Time for nature shots is early morning or evening when the sun is indirect.

LOL! I guess I'm just sort of bored and can't figure out what to do about it that would hold my interest. :dunno:
Thanks! :)

And that sounds delicious!! Nothing weird about it 😅

I got part way through and realized I didn't have enough vanilla extract so we're going to restock that 😅
I've paused making it for now. My dad had to go to the store anyways for some things so he said he'd pick up some while he's there. I have the batter in the refrigerator lol

post pics of your cake before frosting it so we can "judge" you baking expertise
hint....be careful not to overbake the cake.....
I make cake mixes and I find that if i bake it about 10 minutes less than called for, it comes out perfect....nice an moist yet not wet.

post pics of your cake before frosting it so we can "judge" you baking expertise
hint....be careful not to overbake the cake.....
I make cake mixes and I find that if i bake it about 10 minutes less than called for, it comes out perfect....nice an moist yet not wet.
Maybe I will post here... We'll see. Or I'll just show my close friends... But again, maybe I will. All depends on how confident I am about it lol

I may try doing it for 10 mins less and see where that gets me, but I also would like to follow the recipe closely. Although, I can always put it in for extra time. As my mom says a lot: "You can always add in baking, but never take away."
You can't reverse cook something 😂

Maybe I will post here... We'll see. Or I'll just show my close friends... But again, maybe I will. All depends on how confident I am about it lol

I may try doing it for 10 mins less and see where that gets me, but I also would like to follow the recipe closely. Although, I can always put it in for extra time. As my mom says a lot: "You can always add in baking, but never take away."
You can't reverse cook something 😂
When I used to do cakes I used an old school method for doneness. Use a toothpick or butter knife to test. Insert either in the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done. With breads I'd rap my knuckles on the top. If it sounds hollow it is done. Unless you have an accurate oven thermometer to calibrate it is difficult to get really good results just by going with the recipe. Say that you set the oven to 350F. That does not mean the actual oven temp is really 350F. A stand alone over thermometer let's you know the actual temp. The type I use just clips on the middle oven rack.

When I used to do cakes I used an old school method for doneness. Use a toothpick or butter knife to test. Insert either in the cake. If it comes out clean the cake is done. With breads I'd rap my knuckles on the top. If it sounds hollow it is done. Unless you have an accurate oven thermometer to calibrate it is difficult to get really good results just by going with the recipe. Say that you set the oven to 350F. That does not mean the actual oven temp is really 350F. A stand alone over thermometer let's you know the actual temp. The type I use just clips on the middle oven rack.
Yup! That's what I do! I use a toothpick! Works well!

i set my oven to 325 if recipe calls for 350. And set timer for 10 minutes less than recipe. Then I use the toothpick test to check for doneness.

Jaylach...what type of thermometer are you using for your oven...digital or guage type?

i set my oven to 325 if recipe calls for 350. And set timer for 10 minutes less than recipe. Then I use the toothpick test to check for doneness.
Our oven usually always does well when we set it for 350° and then the actual time requested... USUALLY.

my oven is 45 years old.....still works perfectly...they made appliances better in those days compared to the digital appliances nowadays that often have issues

my oven is 45 years old.....still works perfectly...they made appliances better in those days compared to the digital appliances nowadays that often have issues
Ours works really well 🤷‍♂️
Although the stove top is real bad 😂😂
My mom wants induction.

is your stove gas or is it electric...mine is electric with a smooth ceramic cooktop

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back