What are you doing today?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Nope. The paper cup goes right in the fire. For some reason the fire won't burn the cup after a certain point. I didn't believe it until a guy showed me.
Huh interesting... I wonder if it has to do with the water inside of the cup absorbing the heat maybe? Therefore it causes the cup nit to melt away.

I know with liquid nitrogen you can actually pour it over your hand and be perfectly fine. I've seen it done. Now of course I personally would not even attempt it BUT the science behind it is awesome

Huh interesting... I wonder if it has to do with the water inside of the cup absorbing the heat maybe? Therefore it causes the cup nit to melt away.

I know with liquid nitrogen you can actually pour it over your hand and be perfectly fine. I've seen it done. Now of course I personally would not even attempt it BUT the science behind it is awesome
You're on the right track. It does have to be a paper cup too. It is something about the water paper interface . When it's all done the cup will have burned to a fraction of its former thickness and be as fragile as frost on a windowpane . This is an old Boy Scout trick.

You're on the right track. It does have to be a paper cup too. It is something about the water paper interface . When it's all done the cup will have burned to a fraction of its former thickness and be as fragile as frost on a windowpane . This is an old Boy Scout trick.
Ohhhhh! Now I think I know what happens.
Ok, so as the water soaks into the cup it dampens it. Meanwhile the fire is heating the outside causing it to dry. This will cause the paper to thin out and the water inside to still be able to heat without the cup burning or without the water soaking through.
There is also a wax coating I believe on the inside of paper cups (I think). This would also help with the process

Ohhhhh! Now I think I know what happens.
Ok, so as the water soaks into the cup it dampens it. Meanwhile the fire is heating the outside causing it to dry. This will cause the paper to thin out and the water inside to still be able to heat without the cup burning or without the water soaking through.
There is also a wax coating I believe on the inside of paper cups (I think). This would also help with the process
Yes ! That's it exactly. I couldn't remember the explanation of the process but what you said is how it was explained to me .

Yes ! That's it exactly. I couldn't remember the explanation of the process but what you said is how it was explained to me .
Wow... I surprised myself... Usually I'm really dumb and can't figure stuff like this out 😂

Finally, my biology I learned helps me somehow. A while back I finished up on the law of thermodynamics... Must have retained something I suppose. 🤣

You know what ? Reading stuff about power outages and stuff does anybody give thought or preparation to basic survival skills and equipment ? Starting a fire , building a shelter , you know , Daniel Boone type skills.
survival skills? you left out..driving to nearest hotel that still has power :D

Believe it or not but you can boil water in a paper cup. I've seen it done.
Trying to keep things simple. :lol:

All silliness aside (for just a moment), I do think it's good to know how to cook, purify water, and stay warm without electricity and gas. It's an uncertain world.

I've never tried the water in a paper cup thing, but it's pretty well documented. Indigenous people all around the northern hemisphere used to boil water in birch bark (basically paper; possibly even more flammable) containers. I don't quite understand why it works; it does have something to do with the heat passing quickly through the bark/paper and being absorbed by water. Water can absorb an amazing amount of heat. A thicker wooden vessel will catch on fire, but birch bark doesn't, as long as the flames don't reach above the level of the liquid.

You can also use hot rocks: Heat a rock in a fire until it's glowing, then drop it in a container of water. Instant boil. The plains tribes in North America used to cook stew that way in cleaned-out buffalo stomachs or even just animal skins. I've never actually tried that one, either. Need to remedy that at some point.

Hmmm...now that we mention it, tomorrow is my night to cook... 🤔

You can also use hot rocks: Heat a rock in a fire until it's glowing, then drop it in a container of water. Instant boil. The plains tribes in North America used to cook stew that way in cleaned-out buffalo stomachs or even just animal skins. I've never actually tried that one, either. Need to remedy that at some point.
The rock may blow up, but hey... 😂

@WhistlingBadger said it best. It's an uncertain world. Anything could happen and some of those things might be real bad. I'm very lucky to live where I do. If there were no gasoline or utilities and I was forced out of my house I could make it for at least a month hiding out in the countryside . After that might not be so good. Basic survival skills are mandatory in today's world.

@WhistlingBadger said it best. It's an uncertain world. Anything could happen and some of those things might be real bad. I'm very lucky to live where I do. If there were no gasoline or utilities and I was forced out of my house I could make it for at least a month hiding out in the countryside . After that might not be so good. Basic survival skills are mandatory in today's world.
And yet todays world is when the least amount of people have them

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back