What are you doing today?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Have a eye doctor appointment that is 30-40 minutes away at 8am so had to wake up at around 4:55am... I'm actually less tired than I thought I'd be 😅
But I'll feel it later tonight 🤣
Bruh. If I have early morning appointments I wake up like 10 minutes before I have to leave. Lol

Southerners, you can roll your eyes. But this is my first pending, incoming hurricane, so bear with me. I find this very interesting.

A while back, a large number of seagulls that usually stay on the barrier islands in the bay flew by going inland, flying very low. We don't usually see many here, but these ones were quite the gaggle. I wonder where they go for cover? Burger King? KFC?

The dog, who never barks, is barking at everything. When we let her out back, she sniffs the air and runs right back in. Usually, she has a big explore and sniffathon every time she goes out, but not today.

People are rushing by on the road, heading down to watch the waves that haven't started yet. The traffic volume to the beach is like high tourist season, on a cold grey windy autumn day. People are acting as weird as dogs are. It's low tide and the reefs are exposed without even small breakers. But people must want to see something.

Most people have tied things down and put things away, but not all. Houses and yards are either tidy as ship decks, or still have glasses on the railings and trash cans sitting in the driveways. It's interesting, if you compare it to the percentages who took pandemic precautions. The sample is small, but it's the same neighbours. There's a guy across the field who has even left a trampoline up. Then there are houses that have not had neater yards since we came here. My yard looks set for winter.

Things are starting to close down, as they would for an incoming blizzard.

The spider outside my window is meticulously repairing her web. She's probably hoping a seal will be blown into it. She's dreaming big.

Brace and good luck... Im hoping it just takes a sharp turn away from the states... Cause were gonna get hit first and that hurricane will be a power house it sounds like😳😬... From what ive see. I could be wrong

Installed storm window in basement window behind 29 gallon tank. It's going to go down to the mid 40s tonight so it was time.

Southerners, you can roll your eyes. But this is my first pending, incoming hurricane, so bear with me. I find this very interesting.

A while back, a large number of seagulls that usually stay on the barrier islands in the bay flew by going inland, flying very low. We don't usually see many here, but these ones were quite the gaggle. I wonder where they go for cover? Burger King? KFC?

The dog, who never barks, is barking at everything. When we let her out back, she sniffs the air and runs right back in. Usually, she has a big explore and sniffathon every time she goes out, but not today.

People are rushing by on the road, heading down to watch the waves that haven't started yet. The traffic volume to the beach is like high tourist season, on a cold grey windy autumn day. People are acting as weird as dogs are. It's low tide and the reefs are exposed without even small breakers. But people must want to see something.

Most people have tied things down and put things away, but not all. Houses and yards are either tidy as ship decks, or still have glasses on the railings and trash cans sitting in the driveways. It's interesting, if you compare it to the percentages who took pandemic precautions. The sample is small, but it's the same neighbours. There's a guy across the field who has even left a trampoline up. Then there are houses that have not had neater yards since we came here. My yard looks set for winter.

Things are starting to close down, as they would for an incoming blizzard.

The spider outside my window is meticulously repairing her web. She's probably hoping a seal will be blown into it. She's dreaming big.
I lived in Jacksonville Beach Florida for 16 years and saw a LOT of storms. One year we had three hit within 10 days. Actually only evacuated for one, Floyd in 1999.

Hurricanes are strange beasts. Floyd was really odd as it sucked up a lot of salt and dumped on-shore. When I got back home it looked like winter had hit as everything was white from the salt.

While we had a lot of storms in Jacksonville we were actually lucky as, in the 16 years I was there, Floyd was the closest to a direct hit. If you look at a map where Florida and Georgia join it actually forms a huge bay. That is why the U.S. Navy uses the area as an air craft carrier basin. Due to the 'bay affect' such storms rarely actually make landfall in northern Florida or southern Georgia. Still the Navy will evacuate all carriers when a storm approaches. One would think that, just with the size of a carrier, they would be pretty much immune to storms but their size is the danger. They are so huge that they are a major wind break and in a strong hurricane can potentially be capsized if caught broadside.

Some things that you may want to consider...

1) Just in case you lose water service fill your bath tub with water for toilet flushing. Also fill containers with water and freeze. Place the containers in your freezer and fridge to help preserve food. Also have containers of liquid water for drinking.

2) Have plenty of candles and batteries for flashlights in case of the loss of electricity. Since you are not likely to see many storms this may be over kill but I had a couple of kerosene based lamps.

3) Get a bunch of munchies! Get things like dried fruit, chips and such. If you stay where you and the storm hits you WILL be under stress. You will be hungry all the time.

4) So you have protected your food but power is out. Have an extra propane tank for your outside grill or a good supply of charcoal. If you don't have a grill a camp stove will do.

All the above is considering the possibility of an extreme situation but it never hurts to be prepared.

Also - I lost power for Snowmageddon here in Texas - I bought a computer Backup power supply after Snowmageddon - will run more fish tanks than battery powered air pumps. Grills in the house produce deadly fumes. Plan on keeping it outdoors on a patio

Today I had to use my brain. After thinking and concentrating for about an hour, I’m wiped out, POTS is flaring and I have a fever. Why oh why does my body hate me 🥲

Just got finished watching the very first episode of the NEW Quantum Leap series.
I actually think they did a good job. I have watched a fair amount of the originals and those were excellent.
To anyone who thinks this is a remake of the original it's not. It's actually somewhat of a continual.
I won't spoil it but it takes place 30yrs after Sam Becket steps into the Quantum accelerator and another physicist tries to fix the original codes to where it is safe to Leap without getting stuck in time and space forever like Sam Becket did.
There are mentions of the characters from the original and ziggy remains the same which I like.
There are a few things I feel are missing but maybe as time goes on it will become a better show.
Definitely something I want to keep seeing and hopefully do enjoy. I don't think I can ever enjoy it more than the original show but I think they have a very good story line built up for the first episode

Just got finished watching the very first episode of the NEW Quantum Leap series.
I actually think they did a good job. I have watched a fair amount of the originals and those were excellent.
To anyone who thinks this is a remake of the original it's not. It's actually somewhat of a continual.
I won't spoil it but it takes place 30yrs after Sam Becket steps into the Quantum accelerator and another physicist tries to fix the original codes to where it is safe to Leap without getting stuck in time and space forever like Sam Becket did.
There are mentions of the characters from the original and ziggy remains the same which I like.
There are a few things I feel are missing but maybe as time goes on it will become a better show.
Definitely something I want to keep seeing and hopefully do enjoy. I don't think I can ever enjoy it more than the original show but I think they have a very good story line built up for the first episode
What Network?

What Network?
NBC
Same the original was on I think (I think?).
But NBC still has a contract with Scott Bakula (the original Quantum Leap actor) making me believe that MAYBE they will finally rescue Sam out of the time machine by bringing him into the series one last time.
That would be cool. It finally would give closure to the original. Plus the ending to the first Quantum Leap was just sad... I mean sad as in actually sad not a sad as in it was bad.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back