What are you doing today?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This morning I am going to watch back to back documentaries about WW2's Operation Paperclip. Tbh I have always felt a degree of anger over Paperclip, especially after my many visits to Peenemunde, Mittelwerk, Mauthausen, Gusen and Bergkristall. I understand the desire to capture the scientists for their knowledge but the price that was largely ignored in the reality of what those scientists were involved in and who they originally had total loyalty to and what they turned a blind eye to makes me very angry. The price of trying to win the space race (which ultimately was lost to the Russians anyway) was far too high in human terms with the extreme cruelty that was done to innocent people. None of the Paperclip scientists should have been given free passes. It was wrong in 1945/6 and it is still wrong now.

This afternoon it is British Touring Car, F4, Ginetta and Mini racing.

I just spent 2 hours putting a new 24 inch Samsung computer monitor together. It had 3 parts, a monitor, and 2 pieces of a stand.

I had a monitor on a stand that was supposedly a universal stand that would take any monitor.

I bought a new monitor that apparently has a spot on the back for a universal stand.

Turns out the universal stand is not quite universal and the stand cannot hold the monitor because there is no way to attach the new monitor to the stand.

Then I had to build the stand that came with the monitor. It consisted of a V shaped base and a 4 inch piece that screws into the base. So far so good. At the top of the 4 inch piece is a head that is meant to move back and forward so you can adjust the angle of the monitor. Everything is black plastic and they have 2 small screws in the plastic bit that tilts and it is covered in black plastic tape. There is no tab on the tape so you can find the end and pull it off the plastic to gain access to the screws. The black tape covers the entire exposed piece of plastic.

After about 30 minutes of swearing at this stand, I took a few heart pills to drop my blood pressure and then stabbed the crap out of it with a screw driver. I found the screws and undid them through the tape.

There are 2 more screws in a small black plastic bag that was also taped to the plastic stand with the same black tape. No tab to say pull here either. Just stuff about for half an hour trying to find the end of the tape to remove it so you can get the bag off so you can get the 2 crappy little screws. Fuplie tape didn't come off and the remains of the plastic bag is still taped to the stand.

Now comes the time to put the video cables into the back, no, sort of in the back but up an alley way and in the base a bit. Little tiny gap made for children's fingers not an adults. 5 fiddly minutes later and one connector is in, 5 more minutes for the other connector. I am running 2 computers on 1 monitor because the computer store sold me a pc that doesn't have a pci slot even though I specifically asked for one.

At last the cables are in, now to connect the power cord. Ew a power adaptor and 3 cables. WTF? No normal computer cables for this new monitor. No that would be too normal. Instead there are cables to the power adapter and more cables to the computer. It doesn't even say which cable goes in which way or which spot. They all fit in all the holes. Fuplie knows what the third cable is for.

Plug the monitor in and turn the computer on and and there is no on/ off switch for the monitor. Computers are both on and running and have been for 15 minutes. Re-reading the 1 page pamphlet of instructions that came with the monitor. Swearing, cursing, more swearing and way more cursing. Grab monitor and turn it over and there is a button on the back that toggles/ moves around like a computer game joystick. Press button and blue light comes on the monitor. Press button again and it goes off. Ladies & Gentlemen, we have an on/ off switch located on the back of the monitor.

Further stuffing about with the joystick on/ off button reveals a menu of things including brightness, contrast, different inputs, etc. I get it set up and it works. Alas even with the brightness on its lowest setting, it is almost impossible to look at anything that is white or yellow without going blind.

Holy fupling carp. This monitor better last 200 friggin years because if it craps itself after the 12 month warranty runs out, I will go on a rampage the likes of which the human race hasn't seen for 1000s of years.

While this is going on I am being mugged by horrible little insects that were sent down from above to plague me because I am upset with the big guy. In fact I have been living with bugs in this unit since I moved here at the end of January. There are rats in the roof, mice outside trying to get in, lizards all over the house and tiny little flies that land on the flyscreen and hop through the fly wire. And there are ants in the kitchen.

Just topping my day off, I am sitting here in pain watching my right leg and foot swell up and turn bright red because I have a blood clot in my leg. Just another present from the big guy who is pushing my buttons.

Hopefully everyone else is having a better day than me

I just spent 2 hours putting a new 24 inch Samsung computer monitor together. It had 3 parts, a monitor, and 2 pieces of a stand.

I had a monitor on a stand that was supposedly a universal stand that would take any monitor.

I bought a new monitor that apparently has a spot on the back for a universal stand.

Turns out the universal stand is not quite universal and the stand cannot hold the monitor because there is no way to attach the new monitor to the stand.

Then I had to build the stand that came with the monitor. It consisted of a V shaped base and a 4 inch piece that screws into the base. So far so good. At the top of the 4 inch piece is a head that is meant to move back and forward so you can adjust the angle of the monitor. Everything is black plastic and they have 2 small screws in the plastic bit that tilts and it is covered in black plastic tape. There is no tab on the tape so you can find the end and pull it off the plastic to gain access to the screws. The black tape covers the entire exposed piece of plastic.

After about 30 minutes of swearing at this stand, I took a few heart pills to drop my blood pressure and then stabbed the crap out of it with a screw driver. I found the screws and undid them through the tape.

There are 2 more screws in a small black plastic bag that was also taped to the plastic stand with the same black tape. No tab to say pull here either. Just stuff about for half an hour trying to find the end of the tape to remove it so you can get the bag off so you can get the 2 crappy little screws. Fuplie tape didn't come off and the remains of the plastic bag is still taped to the stand.

Now comes the time to put the video cables into the back, no, sort of in the back but up an alley way and in the base a bit. Little tiny gap made for children's fingers not an adults. 5 fiddly minutes later and one connector is in, 5 more minutes for the other connector. I am running 2 computers on 1 monitor because the computer store sold me a pc that doesn't have a pci slot even though I specifically asked for one.

At last the cables are in, now to connect the power cord. Ew a power adaptor and 3 cables. WTF? No normal computer cables for this new monitor. No that would be too normal. Instead there are cables to the power adapter and more cables to the computer. It doesn't even say which cable goes in which way or which spot. They all fit in all the holes. Fuplie knows what the third cable is for.

Plug the monitor in and turn the computer on and and there is no on/ off switch for the monitor. Computers are both on and running and have been for 15 minutes. Re-reading the 1 page pamphlet of instructions that came with the monitor. Swearing, cursing, more swearing and way more cursing. Grab monitor and turn it over and there is a button on the back that toggles/ moves around like a computer game joystick. Press button and blue light comes on the monitor. Press button again and it goes off. Ladies & Gentlemen, we have an on/ off switch located on the back of the monitor.

Further stuffing about with the joystick on/ off button reveals a menu of things including brightness, contrast, different inputs, etc. I get it set up and it works. Alas even with the brightness on its lowest setting, it is almost impossible to look at anything that is white or yellow without going blind.

Holy fupling carp. This monitor better last 200 friggin years because if it craps itself after the 12 month warranty runs out, I will go on a rampage the likes of which the human race hasn't seen for 1000s of years.

While this is going on I am being mugged by horrible little insects that were sent down from above to plague me because I am upset with the big guy. In fact I have been living with bugs in this unit since I moved here at the end of January. There are rats in the roof, mice outside trying to get in, lizards all over the house and tiny little flies that land on the flyscreen and hop through the fly wire. And there are ants in the kitchen.

Just topping my day off, I am sitting here in pain watching my right leg and foot swell up and turn bright red because I have a blood clot in my leg. Just another present from the big guy who is pushing my buttons.

Hopefully everyone else is having a better day than me
To get rid of ants grab some boric acid and sugar. Mix them together with some water and lay it out for the ants. They will eat some and carry it back to their base resulting in death for the whole population. It's better than chemicals.

Oil based Polyurethane.
Two coats cut 50% with mineral spirits, followed with uncut topcoat.

There is quite a lot of opinion on how to do this, but two things to keep in mind is that MDF is very porous, and you do not want to get it wet with water.
These were cheap shelves on sale at Lowes ($47) and the MDF shelving seems to be the weak point, I want them to last so I am spending approximately an extra $10/unit to protect the MDF since it will be in the garage.

cool! i also have 2 of them. why did you cut the leaf?
I put down a leaf to start a new plant.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
These were cheap shelves on sale at Lowes ($47) and the MDF shelving seems to be the weak point, I want them to last so I am spending approximately an extra $10/unit to protect the MDF since it will be in the garage.
Cool.

We have some mdf shelving we made ourself. That would be a good thing to add to make them even better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back