What are tips to become better at the fish hobby?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Iā€™ve had several aquariums and have messed up several time with aquariums and still I encounter problems even when it seems like Iā€™ve fixed every problem, what are your guys tips to become a better fish keeper/ how did you guys become better at fish keeping?

Iā€™ve had several aquariums and have messed up several time with aquariums and still I encounter problems even when it seems like Iā€™ve fixed every problem, what are your guys tips to become a better fish keeper/ how did you guys become better at fish keeping?
i am still a beginner, but i found mature and old tanks are a lot easier to take care of

Very subjective question. I'm a newbie by all measures and I'm up to 2 tanks in less than 6 months, plus a small quarantine/hospital one running constantly to keep/grow plants and for when I add new fish.
For fish illnesses I strongly agree with the overall forum mantra of not treating anything with real/heavy meds unless you have absolutely no doubt of the illness, which in many cases is hard.
Water changes are key, and even on established tanks the occasional water testing is good practice unless you get your own water from pristine sources or reverse osmosis and can have absolute certainty that ammonia, nitrites or nitrates won't suddenly be present at the source.
Live plants! I personally think they're a cornerstone for any tank, regardless of size or inhabitants.

Read! I trawl the forums almost daily and browse the topics, even when it's not from my country or the fish I keep. The amount of info being dished out is invaluable.

Above all don't freak out when the obligatory thing goes wrong. We can only do so much, and life always throws a curve ball.

Don't overfeed the fish.
Unlike mammals and birds that use most of the food they eat to keep warm, most fish take their body temperature from the surrounding water. This means anything they eat is used for movement and growth. This allows fish to get by with less food than most people think.

Over feeding regularly causes water quality issues (ammonia and nitrite problems), and is a major cause of problems in newly set up aquariums.

-----
Read up on the filter cycle.
Don't add too many fish too quickly. Everyone wants fish in their tank but unless the tank has an established filter, you don't want to add too many fish. If you cycle the aquarium before adding fish, then you can add them all at once after the filter has developed the good bacteria. But it takes about 4-6 weeks to cycle a tank.

-----
Live Plants.
Live aquarium plants are always good but need light and a bit of aquarium plant fertiliser to get them going.

-----
Diseased Fish at the Shop.
Look at the fish in the shop tanks and see if any look unwell. Look for fish that have cream, white or grey patches, or white spots, damaged fins, cloudy eyes.

Look for fish breathing heavily or gasping at the surface, that's a bad sign.

Look for fish that are sitting alone in a corner when they should be in a group. Sick fish often swim off on their own and wait to die in a corner. This is more for tetras, rasboras and barbs.

These are all health issues and you should avoid buying any fish from that tank.

There are some health issues you won't see in fish but they might have. intestinal worms and gill flukes are 2 common parasites found in the fish's digestive tract, and on fish's gill filaments. You can't normally see these but certain fish (guppies, platies, swordtails and mollies) just about always have them and they should be treated when you get them.

-----
TB and the Iridovirus.
Don't buy dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) or any of its colour forms because they regularly carry the gourami Iridovirus and or Fish Tuberculosis (TB). Neither of which can be cured and the disease remains in the tank until you strip the tank down and disinfect it.

Rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea can also have issues with Fish TB so try to buy eggs or get fish from people who have healthy stock. Unfortunately it's hard to tell if rainbowfish have TB, but they sometimes get ulcers on their body, and if any rainbowfish suddenly bloats up over night, stops eating, does a stringy white poop, and gasps at the surface, there is a chance they have it.

-----
If in Doubt, Water Change it Out.
If you have any concerns about the fish, eg: you think they look off, test the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and then do a big (75%) water change every day for a week.
Make sure the new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish are unwell. It's worth a read when you have some spare time.

TBH I would say the best tip at being better at fish keeping is to be extremely patient. Patient to not do rapid changes in the environment, not overfeed, not to introduce fish too soon, both for quarantine and initial setup, not to buy impulsively and without research, not giving the fish time to stabilize when introduced.
Whenever something happens, except a water change which never hurts anything, you should sit back, take a breath and think about it, before doing anything.
Everyone is solving algae with more products or more fish, any sickness with this medicine and then other medicine when the first one is not working immediately, losing one fish and buying others to replace it, not giving enough time to the plants to grow and become mature, and cutting them or using fertilizers right away,...

TBH I would say the best tip at being better at fish keeping is to be extremely patient. Patient to not do rapid changes in the environment, not overfeed, not to introduce fish too soon, both for quarantine and initial setup, not to buy impulsively and without research, not giving the fish time to stabilize when introduced.
Whenever something happens, except a water change which never hurts anything, you should sit back, take a breath and think about it, before doing anything.
Everyone is solving algae with more products or more fish, any sickness with this medicine and then other medicine when the first one is not working immediately, losing one fish and buying others to replace it, not giving enough time to the plants to grow and become mature, and cutting them or using fertilizers right away,...
I was going to say patience as well! Patience and don't give up! The early stages of any tank are the hardest, and any major changes are something to overcome too. Start slowly, and make changes slowly thats the best way, research as much as possible talk to people and learn where you are comfortable in the hobby. Sometimes you speak to people who are so pure in their approach that its near impossible for anyone else to achieve it and sometimes you speak to people who defy logic and its probably in between you find your stride.

Wills

Definitely patience....even those of us born without patience (like me), suddenly find that we do have it when dealing with fish and their often frustrating habits and behaviour ;)

Do not run before you can walk....what I mean by that is don't buy fish impulsively just cos they look pretty etc only to discover that they are not as easy as you thought to take care of properly. Research til you have bags under the eyes before stocking that aquarium....makes fishkeeping alot less stressful, less financially burdening and actually makes fishkeeping fun (in a very twisted and grey hair & wrinkle inducing way) :)

Do not ever feel obliged to go planted if like me you can kill a weed at 40 paces just by glancing at it. The world of artificial has come up in leaps and bounds this century and artificial plants, rocks and mangrove stumps not only look like the real thing, they actually behave like the real thing too.....you may pay a tad more for the better quality ones, but they can be well worth the investment on not having sleepless nights and stress over that flippin' Frogbit takeover bid ;)

And finally.....learn to get into a routine and stick to it like superglue when it comes to your maintenance, do not be tempted to dive headlong into the medication chest at the first sniff or splutter as that usually causes way more harm than good......and finally finally....learn to relax and enjoy your fish, do not go looking for issues where there are none to be found ;)

I find routine is a good tip. Donā€™t slack on routine. I keep several reminders on my phone like

Change filter floss
Clean filter
Water change
Feed frozen

And stick to the dates/ times you set for yourself

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back