What are these?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Diver4242

Reaction score
Hi, setting up my first saltwater tank, Fluval Evo SEA 12. The store gave me some live rock to put in, and the salt water. I have it cycling now, almost a week in. They're closed so I thought I'd ask here - what are the small greenish things that were in with my rock? I have them sitting out front in this picture. Also the small white piece with what looks like barnacles on it, which I placed on top of the rock. The live rock is turning brown, I assume this is normal life growing, stuff to feed the critters when they arrive in a few weeks (if all is well w/water, etc)?
IMG_20200628_110000.jpg

The “rocks“ with what look like Barnacles to you are actually the skeletal remains of coral. Unless there’s been some new technology to live rock, those just look like rock. I see no life on them at all. The green color is simply algae growth. Live rock usually has some color to it. Sometimes brownish or pink or purple-ish. It should also have some organisms, worms, plant/macro algae, coralline, invertabrate living in it. These appear to be bleached.

The “rocks“ with what look like Barnacles to you are actually the skeletal remains of coral. Unless there’s been some new technology to live rock, those just look like rock. I see no life on them at all. The green color is simply algae growth. Live rock usually has some color to it. Sometimes brownish or pink or purple-ish. It should also have some organisms, worms, plant/macro algae, coralline, invertabrate living in it. These appear to be bleached.

Thanks for the quick reply. The invoice called it Live Rock and now it's turning a deeper brown (since I took that photo when I first set the tank up). So I think that stuff is growing on it now, it's turning all brown. Should I embed those two greenish pieces into the rock crevaces, or place them next to the rock, or just leave them sitting near the rock as I have them now?

Live rock is rock that has been in sea water for at least 6 months. If the rock was dry when you got it, then it's just dry rock (limestone) and should have cost a lot less than live rock. Your rock looks like dry rock.

In Australia, live rock costs about $20-50 per kg, whereas dry rock is a couple of dollars per kg.

---------------
The green and brown stuff is just algae growing on the dead coral skeletons and bits of rock. Just leave it as is or move it somewhere else. Your choice but algae will grow on everything in the tank.

Live rock is rock that has been in sea water for at least 6 months. If the rock was dry when you got it, then it's just dry rock (limestone) and should have cost a lot less than live rock. Your rock looks like dry rock.

In Australia, live rock costs about $20-50 per kg, whereas dry rock is a couple of dollars per kg.

---------------
The green and brown stuff is just algae growing on the dead coral skeletons and bits of rock. Just leave it as is or move it somewhere else. Your choice but algae will grow on everything in the tank.

Ok thanks. They had the rock wrapped up in wet newspapers and sealed in a styrofoam container, so it was wet when I got it. I think it came straight from their tank, and it was wet. I paid US$3.49/pound for ten pounds, so $34.90. The one small piece on the right has a maroon stripe just below the greenish 'crown' and the rest of the base is dark brown.

But can 'rock' be live? Or is it just the living stuff that grows on it? It seems that stuff is growing on mine and it might end up looking like that?

Ok thanks. They had the rock wrapped up in wet newspapers and sealed in a styrofoam container, so it was wet when I got it. I think it came straight from their tank, and it was wet. I paid US$3.49/pound for ten pounds, so $34.90. The one small piece on the right has a maroon stripe just below the greenish 'crown' and the rest of the base is dark brown.
Any idea how much they charge for dry rock?

I'm with shabash in thinking they sent you dry rock as live rock. The stuff in your tank looks like dry limestone rock I use to get from the beach, and looks nothing like the live rock we got at the shop.

--------------
Live rock will have beneficial bacteria living on the outside of the rock, and usually has tubeworms, small corals, sponges and bits of algae on it. There will also be anaerobic bacteria in the middle of large pieces of live rock.

Most reactions

Back