What are these little white organism type things in my gf's gravel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pricey_Jnr

Reaction score
Hey, I've just noticed these on my gf's tank, are they harmful or just part of the eco system in the gravel? They're all swimming around and seem to be breeding like crazy by the variety of sizes.

Cheers guys
5725389a7507d9b183ac986b6ef6e945.jpg

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

They are either planaria or detritus worms and normally live in the substrate. If the water quality deteriorates, or there is too much gunk in the gravel, or you use chemicals, the worms sometimes leave the substrate in search of a new home.

They don't normally cause any problems to the fish but they are an indication something is not right in the tank.

The best way to deal with them is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Then do a 75% water change and gravel clean once a week after that. And if you have any ammonia or nitrite readings in the water or a nitrate reading over 20ppm, then do a water change too.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Those little white dots there look to me like seed shrimp. If they're oval shaped and look like they split apart in the middle than they are probably seed shrimp. These are harmless organisms so no need to worry (good natural fry food). If you want to get rid of them then follow what Colin wrote. A picture with better focus would help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back