What are these fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
We were at the beach a while ago, and my younger sister caught a bunch of these with her net. We were looking through photos today and came across the pictures from that day, now she wants me to find out what they are. There is a dead fish in there, we didn’t kill it. I found it dead and my sister decided to put it in there to see if it was alive. I know it is probably gonna be hard to ID them. If it helps, they were small, about penny to quarter sized. They were brown with faint white speckles. They had a white stripe on their heads. Their tails are short, rimmed with white. They are very flat, remind me of discus. We found them on the gulf side of Florida

Attachments

• 986F49D2-9013-466A-AE2D-7F6B15315EA1.png
    986F49D2-9013-466A-AE2D-7F6B15315EA1.png
    487 KB · Views: 136
They look a little like this. I did my best to draw it. The shape is a little off.
B22A3E0A-4677-4C9C-A4FF-AEA77FD807AA.jpeg

When I was helping my sister look for them, they looked like ragged little leaves being blown about by the waves. Very ragged looking

Reactions: CRS
Can’t ID them from that photo. Possibly any more you took from the side?

Can’t ID them from that photo. Possibly any more you took from the side?
Not that I saw:confused: that was what I figured. I wasn’t the one taking the photo, otherwise I would have made it so you could see them clearly.

Last edited:
Not that I saw:confused: that was what I figured. I wasn’t the one taking the photo, otherwise I would have made it so you could see them clearly. I’ll see if there are any other photos, but they’re on my moms phone.
Sorry, don’t know what to tell you. :/

Looks like a baby of something big, like a foot or two. Being marine it probably looks very different as an adult.

Found this....black juveniles and the shape seems right along with juveniles being in shallower waters

Abundant in shallow coastal waters, from mangroves and sandy beaches to wrecks and harbors. Juveniles (black phase) are common in estuaries and often found in very shallow water swimming at an angle resembling dead leaves or as infertile red mangrove pods and other debris. Adults often occur in very large schools of up to 500 individuals

Where are these fish now, are they in an aquarium with everything they need.
We were at the beach a while ago, and my younger sister caught a bunch of these with her net. We were looking through photos today and came across the pictures from that day, now she wants me to find out what they are.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back