What Are The Signs Of White Cloud Mountain Minnows About To Lay Eggs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kaidonni

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As the title says, what are the signs of White Cloud Mountain Minnows about to lay eggs? Now and then I've noticed my two older Minnows - one male and one female - having a tendency to arch their backs, so they curve their spine and caudal fin upwards or downwards (no idea why). However, this evening the female is repeatedly arching her back so it is curving upwards - in particular her caudal fin, and by quite a bit - and she's swimming about the tank doing this, and going a bit like a see-saw in terms of her balance as she moves forward. It doesn't look to be like any sort of injury or swim bladder issue, although as the light is now off I won't be able to tell (she was going at it with the one male earlier, fighting a lot, but I've observed them and fed them since that and she was swimming fine). Now, I have had Minnow fry in the tank, and have a few even now, so I know the Minnows have done the hanky-panky, but I've never seen any of them in the act of laying eggs before...could she be attempting to expel eggs?

So, anyone able to offer any insight?

It was very strange behaviour, and I've noticed it before in those two Minnows in particular. It doesn't appear to be a deformation, when they do it, they appear to curve their spine upwards or downwards, and then it goes back to normal. It was just quite overt on Saturday evening, with the female curving her spine upwards as much as she did.

Yes you are right, she’s trying to expell eggs but she’ll need a male to fertilise the eggs to make babies

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back