what are the good groupmate in the same tank for platy?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

wfykitty

Reaction score
I have just 1 platy and it seems that platy is better to live in group. while the pet shop near me does not sell platy, I wonder which fish the below is the best for platy to live with?
and they won't breed, right?

From what I search, Tetra seems to be a good choice, is it so?
I am new to this, so don't want to have many fish as I am still learning how to keep fish well.
Is 1 platy and 1 other fish good enough, or there is a minimum number for each fish to keep them well?

Thank you in advance.

1610057486086.png

platies are a group fish that do feel better in small groups, maybe the pet shop can order them for you? if you don't want them to breed, just get some more that are the same gender as the one you have now (the males have a gonopodium, the females don't).

a tetra is a shoaling fish that need to be kept in groups of at least 6, but preferably 8 or more, the platy wouldn't recognise these as conspecifics, so i would recommand adding more platies first.

I have just 1 platy and it seems that platy is better to live in group. while the pet shop near me does not sell platy, I wonder which fish the below is the best for platy to live with?
and they won't breed, right?

From what I search, Tetra seems to be a good choice, is it so?
I am new to this, so don't want to have many fish as I am still learning how to keep fish well.
Is 1 platy and 1 other fish good enough, or there is a minimum number for each fish to keep them well?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 126176
What size tank are they going in? Do you know your water PH and GH? This can be found on your water provider's website. Platies need hard water, while tetras need soft water so they may not be a good mix. I would recommend a few more platies depending on tank size. Tetras also need groups to feel safe and the tiger barb you circled need groups and they are notorious fin nippers and can be pretty aggressive. Maybe you could find a trustable online retailer to buy some platies? Try getting the same gender and they won't breed

I see, that's helpful! I am getting a bigger tank, and will get 1-2 more platy fish instead of other species then. Thank you both.

I see, that's helpful! I am getting a bigger tank, and will get 1-2 more platy fish instead of other species then. Thank you both.
Welcome. Read up on your current fish and possible future fish at seriouslyfish.com just use the search facility. It really is the best purely science based site out there.
It’s helped me a lot since returning to fish keeping after 20yrs. Have fun.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back