What are some plastic/ceramic decorations that work in a blackwater setup?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_1158.jpg

So I have this 140 blackwater setup that contains 10 cardinal tetras along with 8 catfishes of two species Corydoras duplicareus and Octocinclus and 6 marbled hatchetfish.

The plants are doing quite well so far and the aquarium is an absolute delight to look at especially in person because there is actually roibos tea in it that makes the water look tanned because of tannins although you can't see it in images.

Really the only things I want to add now are a pair of german blue ram cichlids,along with more plants and possibly more dried oak leaves for that natural look.

The final touch for me though would be to add some sort of plastic/ceramic decoration like a skull or something like that although it still has to look natural to fit into that blackwater theme.

What are some great ideas for decorations that might work in your opinion?

I guess that's down to your preference. I don't currently have any artificial ornaments in my tank but here is an old pic of the resin rum barrels I used to have - this was a group of 3 with holes for the fish to come and go and the cories used to spend a lot of time in there.
20190809_185635-2-jpg.92995

I do still have the coconut shells in this tank.

The final touch for me though would be to add some sort of plastic/ceramic decoration like a skull or something like that although it still has to look natural to fit into that blackwater theme.
A skull would be appropriate for South America. You mess with the drug dealers down there and they behead you and feed you to the fishes.

In Australia you would find tyres, beer bottles, furniture, cars and all sorts of crap in our rivers.

In Australia you would find tyres, beer bottles, furniture, cars and all sorts of crap in our rivers.
Don't forget supermarket trolleys. The Thames is full of them in areas of dense aussie population (Wimbledon and in towards London). Apparently really popular as disposable barbies (barbecues).

Sorry I forgot about the shopping trolleys. Our local Woolworths supermarket gets upset because their trolleys keep disappearing. Apparently the locals cut the bottom out of the trolley to use as a BBQ rack. The rest of the trolley is left on the street.

I like the natural look you have going I would add a few more plants like anacharis and some Java Ferns on the rocks and wood. I have some fake stumps (2 large and 1 small) that I plan on adding when I make my major change this summer and go from gravel to sand.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back