What are some cichlids that are compatible?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ecto1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd like some bigger South American fish to go together in a 180 tank. I want to keep some of the Amazon's larger species, as I currently have a smaller Amazon-themed tank with 6 angels and some tetras, corys, otos, etc... but I'd like to have a seperate tank, so what big cichlids could go in there and get along together? And I'd also like to add a big catfish or two, if anyone's got any reccommendations. :D

The truth of it is that none of them are compatible. These fish are naturally and instinctively enemies. A popular method of keeping them is shoving a bunch together, this way there's no room for territories and there are too many fish for any real heated fights to go on - in theory. As they mature, injuries and sometimes fatalities can be inevitable. Since there are too many fish and no territories in this setup, you also get no natural behavior and a higher stress tank.

It can technically be done, but it would be much more rewarding to do an appropriate tank with a pair or group of one species, then a fish store style display tank.

If you want a mixed tank because assortment and color is your priority, strongly consider moving to Africans. You can do one heck of a nice Malawi Hap tank in a 180 and include catfish and plecos.

With no mood or desire to be argumentative, I thoroughly disagree with the above post. While the bold statements can be, and often are, trueā€¦ there are options not covered.

My suggestion would be to find one or two species you are most interested in, then design your set up and stock around them. While there are several of the large Cichlids that are known to be nearly intolerable of other fish, there are also breeds that get on fine with tank mates.

There is a danger when setting up large aquariums to get stuck on thinking ā€œbut thereā€™s sooo much room, one more wonā€™t make a difference.ā€ If we get caught in these thoughts we can very quickly create the environment Freddy mentioned. Large Cichlids do need plenty of space as well as territories. Well placed (and properly sized) hiding areas with a broken line of sight between them are as essential as sufficient open water.

Also, be sure to do your homework, as several species of large Cichlids will not tolerate another of their own kind in the aquarium. Also, as Iā€™m sure your well aware, breeding pairs are always more aggressive. Personally I avoid them in Cichlid Community tanks, although Iā€™ve gotten away with it a time or two without injury.

Good luck with your set up whatever route you takeā€¦

Learn the nature of (most) 'big' new world cichlids and you'll learn my words to be true. I'm not saying don't do it - I'm saying don't do it if natural behavior and low stress are goals in your aquarium.

I completely respect this as the way you keep your Cichlids Freddy. I would also agree that most Cichlids will be happiest if kept this way. But the terminology you chose to use was quite harsh and in my experience very exaggerated. I have kept large Cichlids for the majority of the last 22 years in numerous situations and found many different species to co-habitate very happily.

It is true you never said ā€œdonā€™t do itā€ but you did make it sound like anyone who did would be torturing their fish, which simply is not trueā€¦.

My apologies to ecto and anyone else for getting side tracked from the original topic. My suggestion again is to find one or two Cichlids you are very interested in and design the set up and stock around them.

ecto1 said:
I'd like some bigger South American fish to go together in a 180 tank. I want to keep some of the Amazon's larger species, as I currently have a smaller Amazon-themed tank with 6 angels and some tetras, corys, otos, etc... but I'd like to have a seperate tank, so what big cichlids could go in there and get along together? And I'd also like to add a big catfish or two, if anyone's got any reccommendations. :D
A few Uaru would do great with angels and the other fish, but that tank may be too small :/ A 180 could have 3 adult Uaru, some angels or severums and other peaceful SA fish :)

Uaru Info

Are there any species that get along with their own kind? I've heard mixed reviews about Oscars being kept with other Oscars.

I only want three or four fish in the tank, I realize how easy it is to overstock. I also realize I could have many more Africans in a tank of the same size, but I prefer South American fish.

On another note, I am going to be doing a seperate 150 or 180 that will be planted, and that will someday be a home for some discus. I love the fish of the Amazon, I really do - I'm also planning an indoor pond for a stingray.

Some kids my age get cars, and I get fish tanks.
Some kids go to college... I get more fish tanks.

When raised together I've had great success with compatibility of Oscars.

I've also had success keeping other Cichlids with Oscars although it may be hard to balance at first due to Oscars rapid growth rate. I've often read that Oscars should be kept alone, in breeding pairs, or in groups of 6 or more, but I've done groups of 3 or 4 several times with very little problems of aggression (between them).

some South American cichlids that would do fine together in a 180 gallon would be oscars, severums, uarus, and chocolate cichlids. Personally, in a 180 I'd probably try one of each of these along with about 8 silver dollars. :)

A couple of pairs of Oscars in a 180 would be pretty cool and perfectly feasable. Best way to do it, IMO is to start off with a few extra and let a couple of pairs form. Having them grow up and pair off like this will tremendously increase the chances of compability.

I like the idea of a nice group of uarus though, of course I'm also more inclined to the more peaceful guys in aquariums, so my bias shines through here. With a group of Uarus there is no lack of non-cichlid 'community' fish you can stock with them if you wish for some variety, since they'll ignore most non-conspecifics.

A group of severums should work nicely. They are about as peaceful as you can get for SA cichlids yet have all the personability of any of the others :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back