What are my plants telling me?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CozyCat

Fish Fanatic
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi!
These hygrophila pinnatifida have been growing in my 50L tank for a couple of months. They have lost all the original lower leaves, but have grown side shoots and the stems have rooted themselves in the substrate.
But the new leaves aren't that deep green with redish undersides, they're yellowish and covered in spots😕 is this some kind of nutrient deficiency?
20220516_143613.jpg

There's a small amount of aquasoil in plastic mesh bags under the sand. Didn't want to put too much in as I have had problems in the past with algae and cloudy water.
I do weekly 40% water changes and sometimes add in about 5ml all round aquarium plant fertiliser if I remember. These plants are right under the light too.

Have you considered you may be over fertilizing these plants? I see on this forum site members using a lot of fertilizer. I am a professional Horticulturalist, just have a think about how much fertilizer a plant can consume.

You guys are funny😄

Never thought that I could be over fertilising, though I do siphon up as much poop as possible to keep my white sand white.

Hi!
These hygrophila pinnatifida have been growing in my 50L tank for a couple of months. They have lost all the original lower leaves, but have grown side shoots and the stems have rooted themselves in the substrate.
But the new leaves aren't that deep green with redish undersides, they're yellowish and covered in spots😕 is this some kind of nutrient deficiency?
View attachment 159541

There's a small amount of aquasoil in plastic mesh bags under the sand. Didn't want to put too much in as I have had problems in the past with algae and cloudy water.
I do weekly 40% water changes and sometimes add in about 5ml all round aquarium plant fertiliser if I remember. These plants are right under the light too.
I tried that plant a couple of times and it didn't thrive. One died quickly in a warm tank with ferts and the other is dying slowly in a cool tank with no ferts.
I'll buy a different plant next time.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back