What are my assassin snails doing?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i recently had a problem with bladder snails in my tank, and i bought some assassin snails. The one on top i got a week ago, its name is Tartaglia. He wasnt helping all too much with the snail problem so i got another one yesterday, named Zhongli who is slightly larger. I heard that they don’t reproduce quickly and also won’t attack their own kind, so what are these two doing? They've been like this for at least 10 minutes, maybe more because i was asleep and woke up to this. Zhongli just started moving up the plant and Tartaglia is just riding him. Will I perhaps have baby assassin snails?

Attachments

• E3224205-D0E0-4A94-AE99-BD44E023E3AA.jpeg
    E3224205-D0E0-4A94-AE99-BD44E023E3AA.jpeg
    264.7 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 55
They are basically reproducing, meaning they will soon starting laying eggs.

Eggs are in clear square sacs and laid on just about any surface in the aquarium.

Here is a pic of an assassin snail egg laid in one of my tanks.
Assassin Snail Egg.png

Take about 8 weeks for eggs to hatch tiny little assassin snails.

They are basically reproducing, meaning they will soon starting laying eggs.

Eggs are in clear square sacs and laid on just about any surface in the aquarium.

Here is a pic of an assassin snail egg laid in one of my tanks.
View attachment 143570

Take about 8 weeks for eggs to hatch tiny little assassin snails.
Thanks! By the way, how many eggs do they lay at a time?

Assassins lay one egg at a time.

They do not reproduce as quickly as normal pond / bladder snails.

Would suggest watch your feeding the fish as overfeeding will leave lots of leftover foods which the snails will happily eat.

The more food leftover the more the pond snails will breed.

The pond snails will only produce enough young for the food supply essentially.

there was one reddit post about how assassin snails became the pest snail it was so funny
they reproduced too much lol

I gave two assasins snail didn't see em after pitting it in 380G community tank .
And I can still see bladder snails populations going strong ... maybe the bladder snails just out produce those assasins ....

More water under the bridge

I gave two assasins snail didn't see em after pitting it in 380G community tank .
And I can still see bladder snails populations going strong ... maybe the bladder snails just out produce those assasins ....

More water under the bridge
are they still alive though?
maybe the 2 are same gender

Assassins are ambush predators, basically they hide under substrate waiting for a pond snail to pass over and then they ambush said snail.

If two assassin are of the same gender, they will not reproduce simply put.

Many times, snails will feed off of other snail's shells, hence the "riding"....a snail can't clean it's own shell, and lots of good stuff tends to accumulate on them

Assassins lay one egg at a time.

They do not reproduce as quickly as normal pond / bladder snails.

Would suggest watch your feeding the fish as overfeeding will leave lots of leftover foods which the snails will happily eat.

The more food leftover the more the pond snails will breed.

The pond snails will only produce enough young for the food supply essentially.
So its a few days later, and i found about 12 assassin snail eggs on one decoration. Im assuming they just laid one at a time very quickly, but i guess they have been going at it like rabbits?

Attachments

• 02996085-2595-4D6B-B5D5-D38C24E57E38.jpeg
    02996085-2595-4D6B-B5D5-D38C24E57E38.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 38
So its a few days later, and i found about 12 assassin snail eggs on one decoration. Im assuming they just laid one at a time very quickly, but i guess they have been going at it like rabbits?
cool little egg boxes!
yeah there might have been a dead leaf, that is a LOT of food for some little snails

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back