What Are Literally The Most Hardy Plants You Can Get?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smudge_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I am trying to set up a small tank with as little maintenance and tech as possible, as I just don't have much time outside of work at the moment.  I do want to plant it though  and I was just wondering what plants grow best with basic set ups?   I just want a few simple plants fish will like that will be happy enough in a bright room and with a normal tank light.  Adding a few nutrients once in a while would not be an issue either.  I am not keeping any fancy fish, just some pgymy cories and a few shrimp.

Thanks for your advice folks, im fairly sure this will be the last annoying question from me for a while :p

I basically work on the same principle with plants, ones its harder to kill than keep alive.

I have Anubias, java fern and amazon swords in the tank and thriving. I trim dead leaves off maybe once a month but otherwise leave them to it. they are usually pretty lush and green. 

Java fern and anubias are both tough as old boots! I've grown both in unheated, unlit tanks and bowls, no problem.

You can get a variety of leaf shape and colour, in both species, as well, so you can get different looking plants in your tank. I'd personally recommend trident Java fern, which is much nicer looking than the normal one (IMHO!). The 'windelov' Java fern is also a very nice looking plant.

Java moss as well people have literally grown this outside of water it grows steadily in any light tank you people have thrown ti away and found it growing in their drain it grows on things so no roots it forms a lush green matt on anything you put it on hope this helps

Anubias, Java fern (regular, Windelof, narrow leaf, Philippine), Bolbitus, Crypt wendtii, Val are a few that are hardy as!

Java Moss is probably something you never will be able to kill.
Of course it can grow really funky, but it never seems to die.
Anubias are also very nice, and almost all types of crypts are going to survive earthquakes.

I know that other people have suggested these three plants but I'm going to say them too, anubias, java moss and java fern are super hardy. Another species is marimo moss balls, I have some super tiny ones and two larger ones. The little moss balls even survived being shipped to me (which took a few weeks) and they came out still looking healthy and green. I keep all of them in heated tanks with small led lights and occasional small doses of liquid ferts.   

i would say Amazon swords are also quite hardy not outright invincible but youll strugle to kill them unintentionally and they're impressive when they get big and also they're good as ammonia sponges

I'm gonna have to say java fern... I left mine in a 55 gallon tank full of old dirty fish water for a couple months and it still grew. That's in unheated water in a dark area of my room.. and it had no trimming or maintenance whatsoever.

I don't have much experience with plants, but personally, I've had a LOT of success with hornwort, duckweed (more than I wanted), Amazon sword, micro sword, corkscrew Vallisneria, and Crypts of many different types. I can't seem to keep Elodea alive, though.
confused.gif

duckweed will take over! lol. but i do love how it looks.... i agree with everyone.. I have swords, anubius, java fern.. elodea is anarcharis? i have anarcharis.. love that stuff for some reason..
you can just cut a few inches off tall piece and stick it in the substrate... forrest in no time. :)

I just wanted to thank everyone who added to this thread... With your advice this inept Aqua-gardener has now planted his tank with Java fern, anubias, Java moss, jungle Val, moneywort and Amazon swords. :)

Have to agree with the above suggestions as being typically hardy plants.

Though I have to mention that a lot of times I belive that water type, hardness/softness can count towards how your plants grow. I have heard from many folks who have soft water having success with plants such as cabomba and water wisteria but failing with vallis plants for example, and I have hard water the vallis are thriving but cannot grow cabomba or water wisteria well.

Another possibility is the amount of nitrate thats in your tank or from tap water may also be a factor as plants do consume some of this as well as ammonia.

Lastly, the addition of fertilser will go a long way in helping keep your plants healthy and longer lasting.

Aquatic plant growing is not such a simple part of the hobby as you're finding out, it can either be very complex or very simple ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back