What are good reptiles for a large blackwater biotope paludarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have had thoughts recently about building a large paludarium of at least 300 l or more , this is a project I will be working on once I graduate high school which if I am lucky will be in December this year otherwise I will have to wait longer until summer next year.

I already have a blackwater biotope aquarium of 145 l since early January this year with many different fish and in total there are about 40 of them.

This project will strive to emulate the environments of the Rio negro river in a paludarium,this does mean that I will have to aquascape with little to no bottom plants instead choosing to focus on floating plants because of decreased light levels as they would be in their native jungles,this also means relying heavily on driftwood and any eventual rocks .

I will make sure to obtain catappa leaves as well to help create the perfect black water environment for my fish.

The main question here is,what reptiles would work best in a setup like this and which of them are native to the enviroments I am trying to recreate ?
there are some obvious picks like dart frogs and the like.

But what about other types of reptiles like red eye tree frogs or small turtles? I would love to have some kind of small aquatic or semi aquatic reptile like a turtle that will leave my fish alone,this is one area were I need help finding information regarding the species from this area that are actually aquarium safe.

I will be keeping wild caught cardinal tetras ,fire head tetras ,corydoras duplicareus catfish,and marbled hatchetfish from my old tank so the reptiles have to be quite small.

So I have had thoughts recently about building a large paludarium of at least 300 l or more , this is a project I will be working on once I graduate high school which if I am lucky will be in December this year otherwise I will have to wait longer until summer next year.

I already have a blackwater biotope aquarium of 145 l since early January this year with many different fish and in total there are about 40 of them.

This project will strive to emulate the environments of the Rio negro river in a paludarium,this does mean that I will have to aquascape with little to no bottom plants instead choosing to focus on floating plants because of decreased light levels as they would be in their native jungles,this also means relying heavily on driftwood and any eventual rocks .

I will make sure to obtain catappa leaves as well to help create the perfect black water environment for my fish.

The main question here is,what reptiles would work best in a setup like this and which of them are native to the enviroments I am trying to recreate ?
there are some obvious picks like dart frogs and the like.

But what about other types of reptiles like red eye tree frogs or small turtles? I would love to have some kind of small aquatic or semi aquatic reptile like a turtle that will leave my fish alone,this is one area were I need help finding information regarding the species from this area that are actually aquarium safe.

I will be keeping wild caught cardinal tetras ,fire head tetras ,corydoras duplicareus catfish,and marbled hatchetfish from my old tank so the reptiles have to be quite small.
How much space would the "dry land" portion of the biotope have?

caiman

only joking, there are no reptiles besides predatory ones that live in blackwater habitats.

I think the word 'reptiles' includes amphibians as the OP mentions frogs. Turtles are mentioned as well.

Most reactions

Back