What are best plants for aqua scapes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Benji k

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I already have a small planted tank but I was wondering what you guys use for your aqua scapes like is wisteria a good back ground plant and or like blue stricta and like java fern on driftwood what plants do u use because I have a spare 3 gal and a filter and a cheap light of Amazon what plants do you think will be best and that I can get from a local fish store or some of my tanks.

A 3 gallon isn't a tank - it's a small glass container. I use them for hatching eggs, and no plants or fish would live in them. You could do a temporary scape, I guess, for a few weeks til the plants grew. I have 23 inch java ferns, so no. Wisteria outgrows that size tank. Maybe a lone Cryptocoryne wendti?

A 3 gallon isn't a tank - it's a small glass container. I use them for hatching eggs, and no plants or fish would live in them. You could do a temporary scape, I guess, for a few weeks til the plants grew. I have 23 inch java ferns, so no. Wisteria outgrows that size tank. Maybe a lone Cryptocoryne wendti?
Yeah maybe I’ll probably use java moss Java fern and some back ground plants I have 5 gal and it’s heavily planted and the fish in ther do fine but if they won’t do well I can use it for shrimp.

What are best plants for aqua scapes​

That depends on the sort of scape you have in mind...

That's a bit like asking, "what are the best spices to make food taste good?" :lol: There are so many choices. For small tanks, I like clover fern (Marsilea crenate) for a "carpet" plant, Salvinia natans as a floater, and various cryptocorynes. C. wendtii looks especially good in a small tank. If you like grassy plants, try some dwarf sag. Java fern is nice for giving hardscape a more natural look (I superglue it to wood and rocks), but it can get a little big for a 3 gallon. Mosses can do the same thing: Java moss is easy to grow and looks OK, but flame and Christmas moss look nicer.

But it's true that a 3 gallon is really too small for anything except inverts. Invert tanks can be very cool, though. I personally want to do a planted 3 gallon with red cherry shrimp, copepods, daphnia, seed shrimp, scuds, and whatever other micro critters I can get going in there.

I don't think you'd be happy with water wisteria and blue stricta. They'll both very quickly outgrow a 3 gallon tank. In my experience, water wisteria will outgrow a 30 gallon tank!

I don't think you'd be happy with water wisteria and blue stricta. They'll both very quickly outgrow a 3 gallon tank. In my experience, water wisteria will outgrow a 30 gallon tank!
Yeh do you think like horn wort would be good for back or do you have any other recommendations that will be good for background and I’ll probably just go for java fern on like rocks and monticarlo or dwarf hair grass for carpet but I’ll work it out.

Y
That's a bit like asking, "what are the best spices to make food taste good?" :lol: There are so many choices. For small tanks, I like clover fern (Marsilea crenate) for a "carpet" plant, Salvinia natans as a floater, and various cryptocorynes. C. wendtii looks especially good in a small tank. If you like grassy plants, try some dwarf sag. Java fern is nice for giving hardscape a more natural look (I superglue it to wood and rocks), but it can get a little big for a 3 gallon. Mosses can do the same thing: Java moss is easy to grow and looks OK, but flame and Christmas moss look nicer.

But it's true that a 3 gallon is really too small for anything except inverts. Invert tanks can be very cool, though. I personally want to do a planted 3 gallon with red cherry shrimp, copepods, daphnia, seed shrimp, scuds, and whatever other micro critters I can get going in there.
yeah o have cherry shrimp imp in my other 3 gal ther breeding like crazy

Do you think money wort could be a good plant to use

Moneywort is a nice plant. Some say it gets big. I kept it in a tall tank, and it got tall and leggy. I suspect it would do very well in a smaller tank with bright light.

Hornwort is more of a floating plant, but it can be rooted too. It can grow very quickly and require a lot of trimming, but that can be a good thing.

Moneywort is a nice plant. Some say it gets big. I kept it in a tall tank, and it got tall and leggy. I suspect it would do very well in a smaller tank with bright light.
Yeah I have some in the big tank it does grow very tall but I can trim it

Hornwort is more of a floating plant, but it can be rooted too. It can grow very quickly and require a lot of trimming, but that can be a good thing.
h I’m fine trimming I think I’m going to go with horn wort money wort and Java fer anibiad a rock as the scape and then just Monte Carlo as a carpet

Most reactions

trending

Back