What am I going to need?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Phreaxer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I want to set up a small tank at my work, but I dont know what all I need to buy. I was thinking that a filtered tank would be nice for the sound, and the ease of cleaning.... What am I going to need to do this right, so far I have:

1. Tank (kinda obvious, huh?)
2. Filter/Pump
3. Gravel (I was going to use glass)
4. plant of some kind (clueless here)
5. Food (more deep thinking here)
6. Fish (after a few days)

What else is going to be needed?

thanks in advance

first of all what size tank are you setting up? if you are setting one up with no established tank to get some bacteria from it will take approximately 6 weeks to cycle the tank. have you had a tank before?

second what kind of fish are you thinking of getting for the tank?

need a little more information as to what you are planning on.

semper fi

sorry, i was too vauge. I was thinking I would get a 1-2 gal tank.

I have had a tank before, but my dad took care of it ( i was too young)

I had a goldfish that I managed to keep alive for 3+ years, so I am used to the whole feeding, cleaning type thing... I think that fish was tougher than most though.... :p

I was thinking of Neon tetras, but I need to read up some more before I choose a fish... .

6 weeks is a long time, isnt it?

a 1-2 gallon is very small. the smaller the tank, beleive it or not, the harder it is to upkeep. the area you have to clean is smaller but you have to keep a close eye on the toxcin levels since they will be more concentrated than on a bigger tank. my 30's i have i clean about twice a week to keep the levels down. my 180 i clean about every 10 days or so. the 180 is alot easier to maintain than the 30's. i realize that office spaces are much smaller than a house and a 180 is out of the question. maybe consider atleast a 10 gallon. not that much more space than a 1-2 gallon.

semper fi

Hmmm.....I didn't see "water" on your list. It's a must! :p :D

if i were you i would nt get a 1,2 galloon tank. I would buy a 10 gallon kit tht comes wiht everything need to start and it woouldnt be expensive at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back