What algae are these please and how do I remove them?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

EmJay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score

Photo 1 and 2:
This reddish, velvety looking one is growing on my heater, filter/pump pipe, wood and plants.

Photo 3:
This bluey green one is in-between the glass and the sand.

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_103058677.jpg
    PXL_20220723_103058677.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 56
  • PXL_20220723_103108168.jpg
    PXL_20220723_103108168.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 53
  • PXL_20220723_110620131.jpg
    PXL_20220723_110620131.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 57
Looks like black brush algae and cyanobacteria...both very difficult to remove.

Lots of big water changes can help, less light and don't fertilise for a while. Some people recommend complete blackouts ro combat the cyanobacteria but the plants will suffer

The algae in photos 1 and 2 is indeed black brush. This has more than one form, and it is strictly speaking a red algae but can be dark green, dark grey, black. It is caused by light and nutrients. In a planted tank, it is caused by an imbalance in the light/nutrients; once you establish or re-establish the balance, it will no longer increase.

The third photo is likely cyanobacteria, but algae species can also appear along the glass below the substrate surface. This is not a problem, and is best dealt with by vacuuming along the glass during the weekly water changes. Bright ambient light in the room will contribute to this, so keeping the room shaded especially in summer, and not allowing direct sunlight, usually solves this issue. If it is just ignored, depending upon the tank lighting and nutrient availability it can spread. I've never had a problem from this when I've seen it. The room light is the primary cause here.

The light/nutrient balance involves the fish load, plant species and numbers, fertilizers if any, and the lighting data (intensity and spectrum) and duration.

Photo 1 and 2:
This reddish, velvety looking one is growing on my heater, filter/pump pipe, wood and plants.

Photo 3:
This bluey green one is in-between the glass and the sand.

The algae in photos 1 and 2 is indeed black brush. This has more than one form, and it is strictly speaking a red algae but can be dark green, dark grey, black. It is caused by light and nutrients. In a planted tank, it is caused by an imbalance in the light/nutrients; once you establish or re-establish the balance, it will no longer increase.

The third photo is likely cyanobacteria, but algae species can also appear along the glass below the substrate surface. This is not a problem, and is best dealt with by vacuuming along the glass during the weekly water changes. Bright ambient light in the room will contribute to this, so keeping the room shaded especially in summer, and not allowing direct sunlight, usually solves this issue. If it is just ignored, depending upon the tank lighting and nutrient availability it can spread. I've never had a problem from this when I've seen it. The room light is the primary cause here.

The light/nutrient balance involves the fish load, plant species and numbers, fertilizers if any, and the lighting data (intensity and spectrum) and duration.
This is my current lighting data......

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-175737.png
    Screenshot_20220723-175737.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 51
From what I can fathom from the chart, the spectrum is probably OK. No idea about intensity though. And with that there is duration. I eliminated brush algae (I had a lot) by going down from 12 to 7 hours of tank lighting. The algae remained non-existant (by which I mean it did not increase) for five years. I also had to use black-out coverings for the windows, which was easy enough in a dedicated fish room. Point being that the increase in daylight during summer can cause this algae to return.

The plants and any fertilizers also factor in as I mentioned previously.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back