What Africans?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chr15_8

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I've got a 48 Gallon tank (180 litre)

I've almost finished setting it up (little bit of rock work left)

just wonderd what fish i could add.

i would like to be able to have Labidochromis caeruleus (around 4-5)

so what other spieces could i have? i would prefer 2 more different species but if its best to have 1 other spiecs then i'll go for 1.

thanks
chris

What species do you have locally? It's kind of hard to give suggestions without knowing what you can get since there are literally hundreds of species to choose from.

Considering the amount of filtration you're going to have, I'd say you could get away with a total of 12 adults (3 species of 4 individuals each). I'd avoid the hyper-aggressive species such as pseudotropheus lombardoi (kennyi) and any of the melanochromis species. I'd also avoid anything with an adult size of over 5 inches, such as pseudotropheus acei & pseudotropheus crabro. Although, since most mbuna stay around 5" that shouldn't be a problem.

If you could list some species you have available, we could narrow it down more. :good:

Oops, forgot to add I've really enjoyed reading your tank journal. Keep up the good work. :good:

Oops, forgot to add I've really enjoyed reading your tank journal. Keep up the good work. :good:

thanks

my local says they can get most cichlids in and the other said the same thing. knowing my luck if i was to find a cichlid that i really liked i would go in and they wont be able to get hold of it

the cichlids forum suggested either Afra Cobue or Demasoni(12-15) and i could also have M. Cyaneorhabdos in with the Demasoni(12-15) and lab.

si far i prefer the Afro Cobue, i dont like the sound of the Demasoni

thanks
chris

Hmmm, are there any colors you'd like to have in there? Maybe we can narrow it down that way.

mmmm. would like somes blues or maybe some reds?

chris

btw i apprectiate it youve been a great help :good:

mmmm. would like somes blues or maybe some reds?

chris

btw i apprectiate it youve been a great help :good:

No, problem, I love to help.

Ok, red is easy, the only "red" mbuna I know of is metriaclima estherae, the females are a deep red/orange, while the males are generally a yellow/orange, or a light orange with a blue sheen.

As far as blue, there are lots of different species, there are all blue ones, blue with darker stripes, etc. A few of the good ones I can think of off the top of my head are pseudotropheus socolofi, metriaclima callainos, cynotilapia afra, & pseudotropheus saulosi (males are blue, females yellow).

Hope that gives you some ideas. :good:

thanks again. i also added you to the praise list in general chat.

the only problem ive been told with the yellow females is that they might crossbreed with the yellow labs? how possable/likely is this?

chris

thanks again. i also added you to the praise list in general chat.

the only problem ive been told with the yellow females is that they might crossbreed with the yellow labs? how possable/likely is this?

chris

That was sweet of you to add me to the list. :blush:

If you want to go with the labs I would give the saulosi a skip, you might have problems with the male confusing the labs with his other girls, and I'm sure the dom lab wouldn't appreciate that. :hey:

thanks again for clearingit up :good:

ive added 6 Labidochromis caeruleus . to the tank. there all looking great and very active.

not sure if ive already said/asked it but i beleive i was told on cichlid forum that i could add M. Cyaneorhabdos (about 5-8)?

also is there any chance of adding labidochromis sp. Mbamba instead of the M. Cyaneorhabdos?

thanks
chris

edit ive been told on anoter site that labidochromis sp. Mbamba will be fine with the Labidochromis caeruleus. as its the only other 'colour' im after i was thinking about adding 6 unless i see another fish i like

chris

Sounds good, definately looking forward to pics. :good:

If you're looking for red mbuna try and find some Pseudotropheus estherae (Red Zebra Cichlid) if you can, they're a nice bright orange/red. As for blue, try and find some Electric blues to go with the yellows :)

What species do you have locally? It's kind of hard to give suggestions without knowing what you can get since there are literally hundreds of species to choose from.

Considering the amount of filtration you're going to have, I'd say you could get away with a total of 12 adults (3 species of 4 individuals each). I'd avoid the hyper-aggressive species such as pseudotropheus lombardoi (kennyi) and any of the melanochromis species. I'd also avoid anything with an adult size of over 5 inches, such as pseudotropheus acei & pseudotropheus crabro. Although, since most mbuna stay around 5" that shouldn't be a problem.

If you could list some species you have available, we could narrow it down more. :good:

so about 60" then

I am not saying its all about the inches, not at all, but thats what he might be able to get away with, x12 adults who may reach about or already be about 5"

thanks

i going for the labidochromis sp. Mbamba. i just got to find them. i went to 3 shops today 2 didnt have them but can order them. 1 had them but they wernt labidochromis sp. Mbamba :crazy: (they got sent a shipment under the name labidochromis sp. Mbamba but cleary wernt the right fish.

i will be going Enfiled next week to try and find some.

fry lover - i notice your from london to. where abouts do you go?

chris

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back