What African Cichlids for my 3.4” 52 Gallon (200l) Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nameer_K

Reaction score
Hi, what African cichlids would work for my 52 gallon tank that is 3.4 foot long

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).
My tank is 100x40x55cm. My hardness is 40ppm and not sure about my KH, my ph is neutral

Last edited:
You have soft water, which is suitable for the Kribensis family of cichlids (Pelvicachromis genus) and for Nanochromis cichlids. However, if you want African Rift Lake cichlids from Lake Victoria, Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika, you will need to increase the GH so it is at least 300ppm. Rift Lake water conditioner is the easiest way to do this.

If you get your GH and pH up with a Rift Lake conditioner, then you could have 3 or 4 peacock cichlids and a couple of electric yellow cichlids, or something along those lines.

If you stay with soft water, have a pair of the soft water cichlids and some tetras, barbs or something else.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back