loates123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
1 xCRUCIAN CARP

2 x rudd

1 xGudgeon but may get two of these not sure yet

1 stone loach or1 weather loach

what about barbel or are these fish far to big for this tank

Thoes fish would be fine in a 8ft tank providing it is at least 2ft wide. I would leave out the barbel though not a good captive fish.

thanks would 1 stone loach on it own be ok instead of the weather loach..

i was going to get a barbal as my local garden centre has them in they are only 4ins long at the moment..

what about adding a few small tench or is this a no no

and would 1 Gudgeon be ok on its own ?
are there any other fish which need to live as a pair or are they ok on there own,

the tank is 8 ft by 2 ft by 1.5 ft

That works out at about 120 gallons so I would advise against the Tench as they will reach 16"+. I would add another Curcain Carp and some more Rudd and Stone Loaches then maybe try a species of Stickleback, maybe the Ten Spined Stickleback (Pungitius Pungitius) and some more Gudgeons.

gudgeon are small shoaling fish
keep in groups of half a dozen or so

same goes for the rudd

2-3 crueys should be fine

barbel are only 4" now but will soon grow and require well oxygenated water with a lot of movment

good luck

macky :D

You could get some sticklebacks and watch them breed. They aparently have great breeding habits.

thanks i will go with 1 stone loach only and 2 gundgeon.
also i will go with 1 small barbel i love this fish( if it gets to big fast i will let it go in the river).
i will go with 1 c carp
2 rudd
1 green tench / 1 golden tench

what are the maxium number of fish i should keep in this tank

also my filter is a Fluval 404 which it said on the box it can do upto 1300 litres per hour is this ok

loates123 said:
thanks i will go with 1 stone loach only and 2 gundgeon.
also i will go with 1 small barbel i love this fish( if it gets to big fast i will let it go in the river).
i will go with 1 c carp
2 rudd
1 green tench / 1 golden tench

what are the maxium number of fish i should keep in this tank

also my filter is a Fluval 404 which it said on the box it can do upto 1300 litres per hour is this ok
NO! The Tench are to big they will reach 16" and mine have reached 20". The Barbel will get to big and the Stone Loach and Gudgeon will be in danger from it, there also needs to be a groups of Stone Loaches and Gudgeons. The Rudd need to be in a shoal of least 4. Do not release the Barbel into the river. Alot of river systems do not have them and if so only a small number, by adding one to an unprepared enviroment you will alter the balance of nature and cause big problems.

How exactly did you expect a fish raised in captivity to know what to do in the wild? you cannot feed the fish and lowere the food density to wild proportions at the same time. Fish raised in captivity will have different parasites than those raised in the wild and will pose a risk to the wild ones as well and damaging plants that should not be damaged as they serch for food. How old are you? You asked if it was alright and we keep telling you that it won't work but you aren't paying much attention, Now I don't mind being snubed but I do think its wrong to treat animals like you are planing on treating these fish and most aquarists would agree, Infact all responsable and learned aquarists would and have as you can see by there replies.

SLOW DOWN Think about the fish as animals not furniture or collectors items

Fluval 404 doing 1600lph doesn't sound good enough to me. I have just bought an external filter that does 1000 for a 50 UK tank. What size is your tank in gallons? This tank is a 2 ft cube where as yours is 8 feet long, I don't think that filter will be enough by any stretch of the imagination, especially with what you want to put in it.

Oh and I agree with opcn:

SLOW DOWN Think about the fish as animals not furniture or collectors items

You don't seem to be interested in the welfare of the fish, just what you can shove into a little box. Stone loaches need to be with other stone loaches and tench are not suitable.

*geez*

:crazy: :S :whistle: You know, I've never considered this. But does the ASPCA and the British equivalent of Prevention for Cruelty for Animals ever involve themselves in matters of fish? I appreciate all those who are trying to give wise, considered and helpful information to the original person posting this. I hope he/she makes the wisest choice for his/her possible new fish charges... -_-

Bass need alot of room to swim in, like 1,000 gallons and like toe eat other fish, sunfish are dirty, like goldfish, and some are very predator, bluegills are the best for an aquarium.

and the reason we are being so hard is that we realy want to make sure that he doesn't get these fish because they are unsuitable for the aquarium.

I have kept species of Sunfish and I am currently looking for some. I prefer Dollar Sunfish (Lepomis marginatus).

got my fish
2 xGudgeon
2 tench both only 3-4 ins long( these fish only grow around 1 ins per year max)
1 barbal seems to be doing very well in the tank...
infact alll fish are doing great and most are that small they are hard to see

not going to bother at all now with the loachs they look so ugly

after 1 cruse carp
and 2 rudd
and 1 of them cling on fish things that stick to the side of the tank most of the time.......

no more fish after this tho

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back