What a snip of a price

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my 125 lltr freshwater tank so I have room for a new saltwater setup and was just browsing to see if any good 2nd hand ones were available locally.
Well so far I didn't see anything but I did see this beauty.
If you're local and have room for it, it's an absolute bargain. The lights alone are over the whole setup asking price an d then there's all the other stuff.

Have you kept marine before?
If not, then starting with a smaller tank is cheaper, especially if you already have the tank.

I have kept marine tanks ranging from 4x2x2ft down to 18 inch tanks. My last lot of marine tanks where 18 inches long x 14 inches wide x 12 inches high. I did a 90% water change on them once a month and was breeding cleaner shrimp in them. There's not really any more upkeep in small tanks compared to big ones.

Have you kept marine before?
If not, then starting with a smaller tank is cheaper, especially if you already have the tank.

I have kept marine tanks ranging from 4x2x2ft down to 18 inch tanks. My last lot of marine tanks where 18 inches long x 14 inches wide x 12 inches high. I did a 90% water change on them once a month and was breeding cleaner shrimp in them. There's not really any more upkeep in small tanks compared to big ones.
Yes I've done salt but, with today's filtration systems, you may have a point. When I did salt under gravel filtration was the norm. With under gravel the larger the tank the easier it is to establish a stable ecology.

I just ran an air operated sponge filter in my small marine tanks. My 4ft tank had an external canister filter on it. A lot of reef tanks don't have filters nowadays and simply use live rock to filter the water.

I'm thinking of selling my 125 lltr freshwater tank so I have room for a new saltwater setup and was just browsing to see if any good 2nd hand ones were available locally.
Well so far I didn't see anything but I did see this beauty.
If you're local and have room for it, it's an absolute bargain. The lights alone are over the whole setup asking price an d then there's all the other stuff.
Wow.

Most of the smaller fish tend to need a larger tank from what I see. I was thinking something like the Red Sea Max 260. I like the overall spec of this and the dimensions are about right for my study. Can't go for new though as the cost is way too high, even without stocking it.
I would really like to be able to breed the fish put into it, and have truly reef oriented stock

what fish did you want to keep?

if you want to breed marine fish, have them in single species tanks with air operated sponge filters so the larval fish don't get sucked up by the power filter.

I was primarily looking at clownfish. There are so many to choose from. I was also looking at some bottom feeders to mow the sand substrate.
I was really hoping to build a community tank with fish that didn't eat other's fry, and shrimp or other crustaceans to scavenge.
Everything looks so damn expensive so this project will be very carefully planned.

If you want to breed anemonefish, one species and one pair per tank because they are territorial and will attack other fish that come into their territory.

Depending on what species of anemonefish you keep, will determine the tank size you require. The 2 smaller species are Amphiprion occellaris and percula. These look like Nemo and grow to about 3 inches long for females, and males are smaller. They can be bred in 2 foot long tanks. The other species like Amphiprion clarkii or frenatus can grow to 5 inches and need a 3 foot tank.

Shrimp will try to steal fish eggs at night and could get killed by the bigger species of anemonefish. The 2 smaller species will chase shrimp away and are unlikely to kill them. Hermit crabs will take fish eggs too and they have their shell to protect them from attacks by the parent fish.

There's no such thing as a community tank where fish don't eat each other's fry. A single species tank is the only way to breed any fish, be it fresh, brackish or salt water.

You could start off with Bangaii cardinalfish. They incubate the eggs and young and the babies can eat newly hatched brineshrimp when they start swimming. Then use the money from the babies to buy a pair of anemonefish. If you get original wild coloured fish, they will be a lot cheaper than the new fancy mutations.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back