Welp, I Guess This Is An Emergency..

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

onidrase

Let's Be Friends
Reaction score
As seen in a few of my posts, I'm facing near wipe-out of my fish stock due to a power outage followed by heater issues. I just want to log my progress in getting my fish back to health. Or not. I guess only time will tell.

Long story short, things are going awfully. But I'm not gonna give up until there is no hope.

Last night, lost all 5 of my upside down catfish. Nothing can be done about that. I just need to move on.

This morning, tiger barbs weren't the greatest. Lots of imbalanced behavior, brief belly upping. It's gotten... Better, I guess.. But not great, to say the least.

Currently, 2 of the tiger barbs have developed ich, I have slowly risen the temperature to 80 and started a low dosage salt bath to hopefully kill it quick.

temp is now 80, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 15.

What a mess. :no:

Comments and suggestions and "stop that's" or "do this's" are appreciated.

Keeping the water clean would be what I would do. I always opt for the daily 25% water changes for at least a week when I feel like something sketchy is on the horizon. I have never used salt to medicate so I cannot comment on it other than it's not good for scaleless fish like catfish.

Best of luck to you

Keeping the water clean would be what I would do. I always opt for the daily 25% water changes for at least a week when I feel like something sketchy is on the horizon. I have never used salt to medicate so I cannot comment on it other than it's not good for scaleless fish like catfish.

Best of luck to you
IME salt is less stressful than medications with malachite green and copper. It also doesn't kill the beneficial bacteria. I'm not sure if keeping the water clean will kill the ich, which is my primary goal right now. Things are bad enough as is, I don't need an outbreak to make it worse.

But keeping the water clean will prevent secondary infection from happening.

Hmm.. My ich knowledge is sketchy at best. All I know is that it gets in the water and is treated with higher temps to quicken its life cycle and salt or medication.

Hmm.. My ich knowledge is sketchy at best. All I know is that it gets in the water and is treated with higher temps to quicken its life cycle and salt or medication.

I've only ever treated ich with high temp...but I didn't have a bad outbreak, it was only a few spots on the occasional fish. I would think that you can keep the water clean and still do what you are doing, you would just have to add the salt back with each water change?

Make sure you use the right stuff. Good you caught it right away. I didn't catch mine for 2-3 days then it had already begun an epidemic. I then also got a secondary infection. Wiped out my whole tank.(but speckles my female marble Molly. She's a fighter) Sorry for your losses. my restock is going good hope your epidemic goes away soon.

I've only ever treated ich with high temp...but I didn't have a bad outbreak, it was only a few spots on the occasional fish. I would think that you can keep the water clean and still do what you are doing, you would just have to add the salt back with each water change?
The way I cured it the first time (about a year ago when I didn't know what cycling was) was adding 1 tbsp per 5 gallons, then doing a 10% water change every day, not adding salt back in. The ich was gone at the same time as the salt.

Update, The firemouth is bad to his usual diggy self. He doesn't seem sickly at all. The same can't be said for the tiger barbs. I lowered the water level to get some more air circulation in the tank from the filter.

the FM is also being particularly more aggressive this morning, but it might be because the tigers keep trying to hide in the driftwood which he has thoroughly claimed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back