Well Then... Miracle Guppies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Paradise3

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
For those who care... I got these females off my friend, they've been in QT and I moved them into my tank yesterday.

They haven't been with a male for at least 3 years now and only went with my males last night. So how do they look ready to pop? Lol.

22nd%20Jan%2015%202_zpsz4hm1mcy.jpg

(Excuse the female in the background, she's an odd cookie who doesn't get pregnant and always looks a bit skinny but is healthily living)

22nd%20Jan%2015%203_zpsndslhqz6.jpg

22nd%20Jan%2015%204_zps0lcxrwyl.jpg

22nd%20Jan%2015%205_zpsgehggiae.jpg

That female in the backround looks alot like a male...ya sure she's female?

No offense
smile.png

Oh, and nice guppies! The orange female is gorgeous.

LyraGuppi said:

No offense
smile.png

She's all female. She's had babies in the past and used to look nice, I think her age may be getting to her though and so she's starting to look a bit odd.

This was her and two of her sisters when I first get them and one of her babies. As you can see they all looked nice but I lost her two sisters and now she looks like this. I don't know how old they were when I got them as they were already fully grown, nearly 2 inch long adults but these were taken on the 4th Sept 2014. She's the one with a few spots on her tail.

DSCF3497_zps3dhxyxkc.jpg

DSCF3498_zpszejne5ug.jpg

DSCF3499_zpsbsivotgd.jpg

Guppies still produce eggs when in helthy condition. these are readsorbed or shead if not fertalised. This is why they still look large. As a fry develops they female's do not get any larger, this is coz the mother dose not feed the fry, they live off the egg jolk.

A female get's larger coz she got a 2nd batch of egg's developing.

Now dont you think thats a cool little fish!

helterskelter said:
Guppies still produce eggs when in helthy condition. these are readsorbed or shead if not fertalised. This is why they still look large. As a fry develops they female's do not get any larger, this is coz the mother dose not feed the fry, they live off the egg jolk.

Really? My old females never changed shape when not with a male. They were always slender(not like the blue tailed female though) and only got larger when producing fry after being put with a male.

If that's true then that makes sense for these two just not my old 3 lol.

Paradise3 said:

No offense
smile.png

She's all female. She's had babies in the past and used to look nice, I think her age may be getting to her though and so she's starting to look a bit odd.

This was her and two of her sisters when I first get them and one of her babies. As you can see they all looked nice but I lost her two sisters and now she looks like this. I don't know how old they were when I got them as they were already fully grown, nearly 2 inch long adults but these were taken on the 4th Sept 2014. She's the one with a few spots on her tail.

DSCF3497_zps3dhxyxkc.jpg

DSCF3498_zpszejne5ug.jpg

DSCF3499_zpsbsivotgd.jpg

Hi, nice pics but in the first pic the orange fish is a platy fry so it isn't one of her babies, I have noticed how more and more female guppies are starting to look nearly as nice as the males I guess it must be selective breeding where as before they were very plain.

betta fish said:

No offense
smile.png

DSCF3497_zps3dhxyxkc.jpg

DSCF3498_zpszejne5ug.jpg

DSCF3499_zpsbsivotgd.jpg

Hi, nice pics but in the first pic the orange fish is a platy fry so it isn't one of her babies, I have noticed how more and more female guppies are starting to look nearly as nice as the males I guess it must be selective breeding where as before they were very plain.

I know that's a Platy... My video didn't show up for some reason but there was meant to be a video of her and you can see one of her babies in the video. I couldn't edit my post after to say that though so had to leave it.
I'll try again to get the link to the video and see if it shows up this time. Excuse the state of the tank, big algae problem at the time and I was in the middle of sorting it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGBMc_sTIwM

Paradise3 said:

Really? My old females never changed shape when not with a male. They were always slender(not like the blue tailed female though) and only got larger when producing fry after being put with a male.

Note that I said "when in helthy condition". If they are not in a good condition they will stop producing egg's even when with males.

helterskelter said:

Note that I said "when in helthy condition". If they are not in a good condition they will stop producing egg's even when with males.

My old females were perfectly healthy, these ones are healthy too(minus possibly the blue tailed female). They just never got any larger unless put with a male :) On their own, they never changed(after wearing out what they had anyway) :)

Guppies can only control egg production in a small way, if their in good health with plenty of food their going to be producing eggs all the time.This is so they can fertalise the eggs at short notice.
If their in poor health or poor water they stop production to divert the much needed protines etc to repair the body and aid the fish.

This sort of reaction is very common across many animals.

If your females were thin all the time then something may not of been right at that time.

helterskelter said:
Guppies can only control egg production in a small way, if their in good health with plenty of food their going to be producing eggs all the time.This is so they can fertalise the eggs at short notice.
If their in poor health or poor water they stop production to divert the much needed protines etc to repair the body and aid the fish.

This sort of reaction is very common across many animals.

If your females were thin all the time then something may not of been right at that time.

They weren't thin as in painfully thin like my current blue female(who's still going lol) but they weren't as large as these two new girls at all. They were... I wish I had a photo but I lost all my old photo's.. They had a noticeable but not huge belly on them. Never looked pregnant until put with a male then they seemed to balloon up and next thing I know I had fry :)

A guppy in poor health would not breed and produce fry, that much I know. Which is how I know my blue female is not well or not able to any more as she doesn't though the males still try. So, I'm curious how if they did not constantly produce eggs = Unhealthy but put with a male(at any time) and they start breeding = Healthy. How does that work, considering it could happen at any time and I never changed anything apart from adding in the males.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing but I'm really just trying to get my head round how one minute they can be too unhealthy to produce eggs but the next they can start producing eggs and have fry? Confusing fish XD

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back